Editing model while Armature is applied to edit cage

I have the book “Introducing Character Animation with Blender” by Tony Mullen, and on pages 235-236, it instructs you to enable your armature’s deformation to the edit cage so you can go in and change the model to create a shape key specific to the armatures current position.

When editing the model like that, is it normal for the vertices’ axis to be completely different from your mouse’s movement? Each vertex is different, I could move the mouse left and the vertex would move up, I could move the mouse down and the vertex would move diagonally up and left…

Is it supposed to do that? Why isn’t it mentioned in the book? Did I miss something? It’s making it nearly impossible for me to edit the object how I need to…

Unfortunately it’s normal, yes, this is because–while you are moving the vertices in global space–the deformation of the armature warps their movement into the axis local deformation space, nick-named ‘crazy-space’ for its wild and often hard-to-predict effect. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fortunately, however, it’s fixed in SVN, which means it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a worry of the past.

Thanks for the info… makes sense. Lucky for me I already downloaded the newest SVN a few days ago because of a tip from jpbouza. I haven’t been using it regularly yet, and hadn’t tried editing the mesh with it until your post. It works great.

Unfortunately I still can’t seem to get my mesh to deform properly even with shape keys :frowning:

Thanks again.