Editing/replacing meshes on model?

Hi there,

Been working with Blender for the past few days, it’s been a pretty steep learning curve but I’m starting to get the hang of it - however this problem is doing my head in.

What I’m doing is importing a World of Warcraft model, editing it, and then exporting it so I can use the edited version in game - not strictly to Blizzards TOU but rest assured I’m not using it to gain any game advantage.

Here is the problem:

When I bring the model in I can edit any vertices or faces that I wish, even delete some, but if I want to add extra faces they don’t become part of the model even when I join them to the existing mesh. Obviously the new mesh has to be joined by more than just its vertices but this is the part that has me stumped - I’ve tried to copy the attributes of the model I’m editing onto the new part but that hasn’t seemed to work.
I’ve tried to import an edited model and join it to the existing mesh but it won’t play ball with that either - I’m fairly certain it has something to do with the fact that it’s not connecting to the armature but this might as well be voodoo due to the fact that any settings I try to copy from the original model to the edited one seem to vanish into the ether as soon as I put them in.

What I need is a way to make an identical copy of the attributes of the original part of the model, so I can move those attributes to the edited part so it will behave exactly the same as the original - if you get what I mean?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure of what you’re trying to say. So you created a new part and joined it to the model, but it doesn’t follow when you pose it?

This would make sense. New vertices aren’t part of any of the previously existing groups, so they’re not assigned to any bone, therefore the armature can’t make them move. Find the vertex group you want them to be part of, select it, select the vertices of your added mesh, and click Add on the groups panel.
If the rigging wasn’t done using vertex groups, you’ll have to make it using weight paint. Someody else will probably explain it better than me if it turns out necessary; I didn’t use weight paint often and can’t tell you which shortcuts and buttons to use from just memory.

Curious, where did you find WOW model?