EDO RAM - basically finished

(thelonesoldier) #1

Basically finished. I’d like to add a simple bumpmap to add a tiny bit of depth to the metal pins (the bronzish ones on the edge), use a better texture for the chips (procedural? I haven’t learned procedural yet), and do fancy lighting and a simple background for shadows. Comments and criticism welcome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/thelonesoldier/blender/RAMrender.jpg

(Superman) #2

it looks excellent, i only have two crits, maybe three if i rant on.
-the black boxy parts look too simple, add some writing bump mapped onto it, maybe a serial number or something
-add a backgkground, give it a scene, put it on a desk, or in a computer
-Your really talented so next time i suggest you try something more challenging and in my opinion more intressting

(thelonesoldier) #3

-the black boxy parts look too simple, add some writing bump mapped onto it, maybe a serial number or something

As I said, I want to use a better texture for them. Do you know a good tutorial for bump mapping? I can’t find a good one.

-add a backgkground, give it a scene, put it on a desk, or in a computer

Good idea. I’ll try to do that.

I just made this for a break after working on the Ingram MAC-10. It didn’t end up being a very good break because I spend hours trying to UV map it before giving up and doing it the easy way.

(thelonesoldier) #4

I added noise set to normal and a text texture set to color and normal. From a distance, the noise is visible but the text is compressed and terrible looking.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/thelonesoldier/blender/RAMRender2.jpg
But from close up, the text looks good but the noise disappears (you can also see where I was lazy and didn’t make a seperate texture for the edges).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/thelonesoldier/blender/RAMRender2b.jpg

edit: Adjusting the normal value of the noise makes it show up from close up but makes it far too pronounced from a distance. Both issues seem to be related to texture scaling and compression. What do I do?

(thelonesoldier) #5

Almost final version, but I will try to add a wood texture.

The noise isn’t showing up at all now, and I don’t know why, but whatever. I’m still wondering about the texture scaling and compression if anyone has any tips.

It’s not perfect, but it looks good enough for me to be happy with it. Most of the imperfections aren’t visible from this camera angle anyway.

edit: Wait a minute, what the hell is going on with the shadow underneath the upper stick of RAM? It gets lighter as the RAM gets closer to the plane…

(themonkey) #6

Looks good so far, but I got some crits :smiley:

There is texture stretching on the sides of the base. And I would say screw the bump map and just model in all that stuff that you are bumping. First of all it would look better, and second it would look better.

good luck :smiley:

(thelonesoldier) #7

I’m not modeling in all of the metal on the RAM, that’s not worth the effort.

I know the texture is stretched, that’s because I’m lazy. I’ll probably fix it when I do the wood background.

(ideasman42) #8

Add a touch of noise to the IC’s black materials spec channel.