EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEk

Yeah I guessed that. but over here its quite expensive for normal 700mb CDs not to mention 4.4gb! I actually needed large disks such as 4GB a while back but for £4 per one they can… well jump off a cliff.

Hello Everyone,

It is I OBI_Ron, coming to you via a laptop that was bought back from the dead. Yes indeed…I removed the hard drive, then removed it from its case, put in a plastic sandwich bag and into the freezer for 1 hour. I removed it, and let it sit for about 1/2 half hour, then re-installed and…

IT REALLY WORKS!!!

I am furiously backing up to cd as we type, and am forulating a strategy to recover from this type of event without household appliances and / or jumping off bridges.

lukus - Thanks dude!!!
I’m glad it worked for you.

1 Like

That’s pretty expensive. The ones I get are a spindle of 25 for £10 so they are about 25 pence each. The most expensive ones I’ve bought were individually boxed because I figured that was more reliable and they were 50 pence each. I just use spindles these days because I don’t really get any write or verification errors.

I probably wouldn’t use DVDs if they were £4 each. Can’t you order them online?

The price above is for DVD-R. DVDRW is slightly more but I think maybe 80 pence each. I can’t remember because I only bought 2 packs about a year ago and I don’t burn them very often. It’s true they have a read/write limit of about 1000 cycles but if you backup once a week then 1000 weeks = 19 years.

The thing is, once new technology comes down in price, I tend to reburn my discs to save physical space. When DVD came down below £100, I switched my 200 CD collection to DVD and it went down to about 25 DVDs because I also cleaned out some old data I didn’t need.

It’s a good idea not to get cheap media though. I used to use cheap CDs and out of those 200, I had errors on 3 of them. I’d say they were about 4-5 years old. Some of the data was recoverable so I’d say I lost maybe 2 CDs worth of data. It happened not to be important stuff but I try and make sure to get good quality discs these days.

When Blu-ray comes down to maybe £100-200, I’ll probably do the same. I only have about 70 DVDs though so I can last out a while yet.

Which is shortly followed with backing the data up like a whore :slight_smile:
Gee! I did not know you could use them for that, I’ll keep this in mind next time I need my data backed up… :slight_smile:

Luis