EEVEE ARTEFACTS shadows + lights inside mesh

Hi there! newbie here, I’ve just moved from maya to blender, and I’m having some problems with eevee.
My shadows and lights create some ugly artefacts (they seem pixelated?) that I can’t seem to be able to fix.
Also, the lights influence even very well hidden faces of the geometry, that should be darkened by AO+shadows but are in fact very well illuminated.
I’ve tried every parameter I could think of both in the lights and in the render setting, but nothing worked so far.

link to the scene:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UeP5lPgk4CX7FHxmIBy4Ntyc8KjyRWnn

Working in Blender 2.81 on Windows with a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

(I also have a few problems with flickering/noise issues while rendering a camera animation of the same scene, will create a new topic focusing on that)

For shadows, in render tab you try increasing Cube Size and increasing mucho more Render Samples for better soft shadows. Also, look for a strong and small-sized lamp over there. Increase the lamp size/radius to not get such a hard shadow.

For lights going through meshes, you try different settings in contact shadows for each light/lamp, especially those that you intuit that could be causing the problem (for example the called “Light RIM orange”)

I’ve figured out how to solve the lights inside mesh issue: the geometry PROJECTING the shadow (not the one receiving it, in case they’re separate) needs to HAVE A THICKNESS (the depth of the thickness itself is important: if it’s too thin the light will still “pass through”).

This is the solution I’ve found, but it creates a lot of problem for a rigged character: avoiding overlapping geometry in animation becomes a thousand times more complicated… So, if anybody finds a workaround solution, please tell me!

Light RIM orange:
Light RIM orange
Light RIM orange.002:
Light RIM orange.002

I am not an expert in rigging, but people do not usually apply the rig on the mesh/cloth final model. They create a kind of low poly cage to which the rig is applied. Then the clothing mesh is associated with that cage through Mesh deform or Surface deform modifiers.

Just upping the cube and cascade size made the coat better.

Hi.
Cascade size is for Sun lamp, and the scene uses mainly Area lamps, so you would have meant only Cube Size.
Anyway, it is advisable to have those values as low as possible so as not to impair performance/render times.

thanks! these light values are perfect, thank you so much

what I still don’t understand is how to reduce the ‘pixelated’ look of the shadows. It’s not a majorly visible problem, but it’s there and in animation creates some noise that bothers the eye

(same problem as the other post I made)

Shadow resolution depends on Cube and Cascade size in Shadows settings. As I said before, in your case Cube Size because you are using Area lamps. A larger size, less pixelated, but more heavy for viewport and larger render times. You must also have Soft Shadows enabled. Soft shadows quality also depends on Sampling values in Render tab.
Also hardness of shadow edges depends on radius/angle of lamps.

1 Like