EEVEE Development updates ( EEVEE-Next )

Jittered DOF is relatively useless though, as none of the render passes include the over-blur.

1 Like

Longer term planning

• Currently we have 3 bigger projects running that are related to each other.
    • Viewport compositing and needs Metal backend to run on Apple devices as both projects rely on compute shaders that aren’t supported on Apple/OpenGL.
    • EEVEE-Next needs viewport compositing for the Bloom effect.
  • Due to these reason they will be released at the same time. We don’t expect EEVEE-Next and Metal backend to be ready for Blender 3.4
  • Viewport compositor could be an experimental feature in Blender 3.4 on supported platforms.
3 Likes

Awww :frowning: oh well, at least they’re taking the time to get it right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lukas is working on improving library for calculating tangents that among others will speed up EEVEE.
The patch should land rather soon:
Let’s hope this patch lands soon:

https://developer.blender.org/D15589

7 Likes

And it is in now.
rB6951e8890ae3 (blender.org)

To note, the primary way it speeds up Eevee is the optimizations it does to the process of initializing and then generating the normals (which will be noticeable during the activation of Eevee as well as when modeling or authoring shaders). It also means a slightly faster startup time for Cycles when the rendered view is selected or F12 is pressed.

3 Likes

Does this optimization make this faster normal map node setup obsolete?

2 Likes

Whats stopping you from testing it?

2 Likes

No.

78k skeletal mesh (on RTX2060 and i7-9750)
2.93 solid view - 40 fps
2.93 eevee - 6.5 fps
2.93 eevee gpu normal - 38 fps
3.4 solid view - 40 fps
3.4 eevee - 22 fps
3.4 eevee gpu normal - 38 fps

Its significantly faster, but it still not possible to animate at 60fps and optimized normal map is still faster.
In comparison same exported (baked) animation with same model in Unity have 1300 fps.

5 Likes

For the 10,000th time it must be said: Comparing any DCC to a game engine in such matters is apples and oranges. Different tools, feature requirements and goals. Blender’s viewport is way faster than c4d’s viewport, and I suspect competitive to other DCCs.

4 Likes

Chill man. I just pointed where roof is in terms of animation playback.

We could have realtime playback in blender and eevee, we “just” have few things

as i mentioned before:

we could use some king of animation caching
and eg. gpu skinning (eg afaik upbge have gpu skinning) or tangent calculations on GPU
or even something more versatile like animated mesh caching like in T73481

anyway we are going offtopic, so lets better go back on track:

EEVEE-Next: Port to new Draw Manager

what is new Draw Manager?

4 Likes

6.5 fps to 22 fps, while not perfect, is for sure worth celebrating :slight_smile:

10 Likes

what is new Draw Manager?

From D15817: This is a new implementation of the draw manager using modern
rendering practices and GPU driven culling.

5 Likes

More nodes for realtime compositor are merged into master.

Dilate/Erode was merged last week but the others are merged in the last few hours, so they will be available in tomorrow’s daily alpha build.

10 Likes

Very excited for better normal map performance and Shader displacement

1 Like

EEVEE Next realtime cryptomatte has been merged.

https://developer.blender.org/rB8068b89a681c467f3d449b9ddc2ebec5b817c2fc

11 Likes

Yea, especially that its not only for eevee but it also speedups blender all over the places like modeling(?) and cycles.

5 Likes

Nishita Sky texture support for EEVEE has been merged into master.

Sun Disc is currently not supported because it’ll need special handling - on the one hand, I’m not sure if Eevee would handle a 1e6 coming out of a background shader without issues, and on the other hand it won’t actually cast sharp shadows anyways.
I guess we’d want to internally add a sun to the lamps if Sun Disc is enabled, but getting that right is tricky since the user could e.g. swap RGB channels in the node tree and the lamp wouldn’t match that.
Anyways, that can be handled later, the sky itself is already a start.

20 Likes

Oh, for some reason it recompiles shader when values are changed :confused: .

2 Likes

3 Likes

Miguel Pozo, the main developer of Malt (an NPR engine for Blender ), joined the GPU/Viewport module: https://devtalk.blender.org/t/3-october-2022-upcoming-finalized-at-18-00-cet/25976

• Miguel Pozo , NPR enthusiast, starts a development grant remotely to help the GPU/Viewport module.
12 Likes