EEVEE Development updates ( EEVEE-Next )

Common, at least you ate some nice chocolate ice cream.

3 Likes

Normally, that’d be a good point. Problem is, my doctor said I’m starting to get kinda chubby, and I need to lose some weight. She even slapped my belly for emphasis. It was, just, terrible, man.

So a gallon of ice cream isn’t exactly something I should be eating. But eh, I can always exercise more next week.

10 Likes

Well, next time you see her you can blame @TheRedWaxPolice :smile:

4 Likes

Damn straight.

3 Likes

His first task will be rewrite of Workbench. (He said he’d like to do NPR stuff in the medium-term.)

10 Likes

EEVEE Next is now working for me.

5 Likes

:dash: Me running to try it too :laughing:

2 Likes

Just tried Eevee Next in a brand new scene for a school project. Imported a 27 million polygon sculpt from ZBrush and started setting up the lighting and everything. Felt pretty laggy in old Eevee while moving stuff around and rotating the camera, but Next runs buttery smooth by comparison.

Very promising! :+1:

24 Likes

Hmm, interesting… maybe cuz there are no shadows yet? among other things… :thinking:

2 Likes

In so many ways, Blender devs firing on all cylinders. The RTX 4090 of 3d apps is ours. Can’t wait for BCON '22. That, my friends, is a well deserved party.

You will be there? Me too…

He is currently working on the shadow system for eevee so thats the next feature.

1 Like

In a world where inflation is running rampant in nearly every nation state, the recent performance and memory optimizations being done (courtesy of things like the new app-wide attribute-based system) is one of the most important things the devs. can be doing right now.

Such work means the pressure to upgrade your hardware goes down, which in turn saves a lot of money (which is good regardless of whether you are using Blender as a sort of ‘hardware fund’ by making things of value).

To be honest though, Blender’s performance in some areas have been in the gutter far too long and it has only been in the last few years that it has become a core focus, it came late in my opinion, but it could not have come at a better time.

4 Likes

note about eevee performance with many lights in eevee-next:

EEVEE is forward (+?) rendering path and eevee-next will be deferred
and with that light complexity is vastly different.

It goes from O(num_geometry_fragments * num_lights) to O(screen_resolution * num_lights)

So if You had heavy geometry with many lights it should be faster now.

7 Likes

This is excellent news. I have a scene with 2m polygons that plays at 38 FPS max in Rendered view, but it drops down to 18 with just 12 measly point lights. It’s not the end of the world- I can live with 18 FPS with no problem- but Eevee’s performance hits with lights have always been an annoyance

2 Likes
  • Levels node (comes with parallel reduction implementation that will be used for other operations) and Variable size support for Bokeh Blur node are now in Viewport Compositor.
  • Preliminary performance measure for Workbench rewrite: “Currently we measured a 2 times speedup when drawing heavy scenes with a lot of instancing.”
  • Overlay also gets a rewrite based on the new draw manager. There’s already a branch made for it.
  • Metal support is getting there: “With this second patch in place, and a separate one for the Metal compatibility changes, rendering with the current EEVEE pipeline should work in Metal.”
9 Likes

If people don’t understand why I’m so childishly giddy reading these posts:

I come from c4d:
-You pay $900 USD per year to rent and still don’t get one modern GPU renderer, let alone TWO. Pay extra to get into the true render game…and they have no Eevee or Grease Pencil equivalent at any price!

-Their development is snail-like and opaque to customers

-Ask them about a built-in compositor and they’ll say, “You can buy our RedGiant tools for After Effects”

-Ask about their sluggish viewport and they’ll say, “Wait for c4d Nodes…or capsules…” which after years is still in polliwog form, and seems dead in the water.

6 Likes

I’m not sure you need any more reason than “because I’m a Blender Eevee user”, frankly. I’m suspect we’re all giddy with you.

Although, I get it. I was a Daz user who stuck with Daz’s terrible, outdated poorly maintained implementation of 3Delight because my entry level gaming card wasn’t good enough for Iray, and since making the Blender move I haven’t stopped being excited to finally get to use a proper metallic PBR shader* and the final feature that got me switch to Blender for all rendering: the fancy new-at-the-time realtime renderer Eevee. I actually have a decent card that can render cycles fairly quickly now, but I still prefer Eevee for the most part.

* Though I am bitter about the lack of anisotropic shading, and will remain so until they finally implement this essential shader into Eevee.

6 Likes

a dream come true

13 Likes

Yea, there for a while.

tho this feature is so low hanging fruit that weird that it didn’t was present in 3.0.

3 Likes

Now if they could only make the same thing for Cycles! (i.e. better implemented with less clicking around)

2 Likes