Eevee + Workbench shading test

There’s just something I like about the Workbench render output.

When Blender 2.80 was released the compositor didn’t allow mixing and matching render engines but the 2.82 does!

Perhaps this was fixed earlier, but didn’t notice…

And here’s the result:

And below are the render passes:

The passes are multiplied and tweaked a bit in compositor nodes and the Eevee pass is quite bright to compensate the Workbench pass. Workbench pass uses matcaps and heavy cavity shading with both viewport and world enabled.

3 Likes

Very cool. How exactly do you mix render engines? Do you still have to render twice, or can the two passes be achieved in just one go?

View layer render engine is currently tied to scene but you can have multiple linked scenes with their corresponding rendering engines as input layers in compositing nodes.

In this example I simply created a new linked copy of my scene and changed and tuned it for Workbench and combined both scenes in main compositor so everything renders at once.

Being new to Blender I dIdn’t notice that F12 basically re-renders all Render Layers used in Compositing, that’s pretty cool!

I was looking for a way to use the Workbench’s cavity overlay with my EEVEE renders (as a kind of fake bevel effect), and this setup makes me do that. For that I’m setting the workbench settings to 0.5/0.5/0.5 flat grey shading (single color) and turn on the cavity overlay on top of that. That layer can now be put over the original EEVEE rendering (using the Mix node set to “Overlay”).

Couple of tips:

1. You can boost the cavity effect beyond 1.0
  2. Besides flat shading you can get nice effects with matcaps
  3. Combine multiple workbench renderings with different shadow and shading effects for interesting results
  4. You can actually fine tune workbench softness with higher sample count and larger pixel filter size
2 Likes