Effect Node

This node,the Effect Node, allows you to create certain effects, mostly based on (a simulation of) iridescence or pearlescence,like metallic car paint,soap bubbles,opals,pearls,compact discs.
I made 2 years ago an osl script for “thin films layer”,but now i want to try iridescence using principled shader as the base node. It could be thinked like an extension of the principled shader.
Iridescence is a phenomenon in which the surface changes color due to multiple reflections coming from two or more layers that make up the surface.
The color change depends on the angle of view and the thickness of the layers.
This is a brief description of the parameters:

• base color: this is the default surface color,same as principled shader

• use texture colors for effects: use colors coming from a texure (or a color ramp node) for the effect.
    0 = no texture colors
    1 = only texture colors
    between 0 and 1 = a mix with other color sources.

• user colors for effects: use up to 4 colors ,decided by the user for the effect.
    0 = no user colors
    1 = only user colors
    between 0 and 1 = a mix with other color sources.
    If previous options are set to zero,a mapping from wavelengths to rgb color is made.We have:

• wavelength: the main reference wavelength
    • range: the range used for the interval around wavelength (wavelength-range,wavelength+range)
  • use color1/2/3/4 :user colors,if user color option > 0

• user color2/3 position: separation point for user color2 and user color3. The meaning is the same as in color ramp node.
    user color1 position =0,user color4 position =1 by default.

• effect map: it identifies the area affected by the effect and the intensity of the effect.
    0 = no effect, color base is used
    1 = surface totally affected by the effect,no base color.
    between 0 and 1: partially affected,mixed with base color.

• effect colors distribution:the color mapping inside the area of the effect map.
    These are values in range [0…1] and work like the fac parameter in the color ramp node.
    This parameter maps the colors in case of user colors and wavelength colors,but not for texture colors (which are modified by the parameter “angle of view dependence for effect” and an internal hue_saturation_value node)
    For user colors,range [0…1] means from user color1 to user color4.

• metallic: same as principled shader. The metallicity of the surface. The final value is determined by a combination of the inserted value and the effect map value.
    If metallic = 0, the final metallic value depends on the effect map value.
    If metallic = 0 and effect map = 0 ,then the surface has a dielectric appearance (not metallic).

• transmission: same as principled shader.

• hue/saturation/value/fac: these are plugged into a hue saturation value node ,which affects colors in the effect map area.

• specular: same as principled shader.

• IOR: same as principled shader.

• angle of view dependence for effects: [0…1] this indicates how much the angle of view influences the effect colors. If effect is something similar to iridescence,then this must be >0.

• normal/clearcoat normal/clearcoat/subsurface/subsurface radius/roughness/clearcoat roughness/
    anisotropic/anisotropic rotation/tangent: same as principled shader.

• use user subsurface color: mix index between base color and user subsurface color in case of subsurface scattering.
    I’ve made some examples of this node:

• Car paint with multicolor flakes

• Iridescence on metallic/not metallic/transparent base

• Opals

• A tahitian pearl and a common pearl

• Bubbles,4 examples

• Compact discs, 2 examples,without using anisotropic,no blurred reflections

• Compact discs, 2 examples,without using anisotropic,with blurred reflections

The link to the (compressed .7z) .blend file with these materials is here:
EffectNode.7z (1.2 MB)

Obviously,the material is free to use,modify and so on.

3 Likes

Sovled i found data in another folder
but no nodes set up !

thanks

how to use this file ?
I tried with 7 unzip and did not really work !

do you have set up for the different material or already included in file ?

thanks for sharing
happy bl

Hi RickyBlender.
I tried to download 2 times the .7z file and used 7 Zip to extract the folder.
Then i opened the effectsmaterials.blend file with blender 2.8 and i had no problems.
You’ll find spheres, representing the materials.
To use the materials,create a new file,append effectsmaterials.blend and choose the material ,the assign it to an object.
The node setup is in the shader editor,but to find it,use the horizontal and vertical bars of the shader editor window.
You’ll find the setup immediately.
There is a reason .
Initially, during the tests, I accumulated all the material setups in the same shader editor, creating a series of nodes in a very large area. The setups are dispersed and are no longer centered.
Then i created the individual materials, duplicating everything each time and deleting the setups of the other materials.
P.S.: Set clearcoat option to 1 for the example material,they look more realistic.
For the bubble materials,use a solidify modifier with a small thickness
Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

this is for 2.8 or could be imported in 2.79 ?

the nodes set up are spread wide LOL
but I use the key home and got these

interesting material for cyles
will test these over time

there was someone asking about the Opal mat
don’t know if it what he was looking for the one you have

thanks for tip
happy bl

I think for 2.8 only.
I tried with 2.79 but it closed immediately.
Thank you RickyBlender

cannot open file in 2.79
but you can cut and paste object in 2.79
and did a quick test seems about the same for one

as long as you did not use some of the new nodes in 2.8
I guess it should work in 2.79

thanks
happy bl

Thank you RickyBlender :+1: