Efficient way of modeling gothic tracery? (Example inside)

Hello everyone,

I’m modeling a gothic-style building in Blender. It’s a lot of fun and I’m learning a lot while I’m doing it, things just happen to be quite… slow at times. Yesterday, I attempted to do a window. Here’s my reference image:

… and here’s how it turned out for me (only the top part is interesting; the rest is rather trivial):

My process was:

• Create the protruding lines (the ones marked as sharp in the outcome image) by placing a vertex and extruding it time and time again, following the shape of the line, making sure to put them all on the same vertical plane.
  • Behind the first plane, I did the same for the “inner” lines on another plane.
  • I connected the resulting lines up with faces and fixed as many irregularities as I could.
  • I only did half of the shape of course, and used a mirror modifier.

The pros of this approach:

• straight forward
  • reasonably low-poly (whole model has about 1000 vertices, which I think is fine)

The cons:

• very time consuming, manual, braindead labour (the whole thing took me about 90 minutes)
  • resulting geometry shows no sign of regularity whatsoever, nothing what e.g. a bezier curve would produce. There are imperfections due to manual arrangement of vertices. Line thickness varies etc.

I also watched this tutorial on YouTube which uses the curve modifier extensively; alas this approach doesn’t work when the tracery lines join and split a lot as in my reference image.

So… do you have any idea how to do this more efficiently? Gothic tracery is inherently mathematical in nature, so I suppose that there should be a mathematical / algorithmic way of creating it?

the arches are math
not as simple circle or ellipse or even parabola

so have to look in wiki to find the proper way to draw these arches

have fun
happy bl