electric guitar (strat-style)

Hi everybody,

Here is what i would call an unfinished representation of my guitar, which is some sort of obscure fender copy. At first I used an early version of this model just for a few toon-shading black/white renders, for a manual on how to string a guitar (which was an university assignment :)) but once that was done, i thought i could bring it to an end. And although i couldn’t really finish it, I went far enough to make me not want to touch the .blend ever again ;). So it’s basically a non-pluggable electric guitar now, but who cares anyway, here’s the picture:

http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~s9327283/bilder/gitarreao2.png

rendering time was about 2 hrs, with AO and AA on full quality

and if you want to see the toon-shaded pics, (or want to learn how to string a guitar :-)) they’re in this pdf (~2MB!), starting page 10:

http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~s9327283/bilder/handbuch300dpi.pdf

PS: this is my first post on this forum, so uhm… hi! :smiley:
PPS: C&C are deeply appreciated

Very nice attention to detail on that guitar. I’m a luthier (guitar-maker) and that’s PRETTY close to a strat-body. :wink: Very good attention to detail, though, as I said. Very nice work! :smiley:

Very nice attention to detail man… I havn’t got a stratocaster but from what i’ve seen its very close I dont really have anything to crit on except the nobs for volume and such dont have any words or letter saying which is which and what way to turn em.

Also I really like the body and the texture fits really well everyone except the head it looks just like one brown mat… Mostlikely its the same as the body so perhaps its the lighting/camera angle.

(Geez it was a university assingment to write a manual on how to string a guitar… that was like the first thing my music/guitar teacher got me to do and I was 13 (now 14)

That shouldn’t of taken 2 hours to render

Nice guitar! I’m trying to do one myself, but I’m having some problems with the bridge, so if you’ve got some tips or some good reference images you want to share I would appriciate it very much. :smiley:
BTW were’s tho plug-in (I belive it’s called so) shouldn’t it be on the front of the guitar?

i like i like. but 2 hours!!! really if your ray tracing osa only needs to be at about 8 and youve got no scene so ao doesn’t need to be at full
a pic like that should take 30 mins max to render. play about a bit i’m sure you’ll agree you can cut the render time a lot without sacrifising quality.

looks pretty good! maybe some better shadows tho.

thank you all for replying, i’m quite flattered :slight_smile:

except the nobs for volume and such dont have any words or letter saying which is which and what way to turn em.

the words are on there, but yes, they lack the numbers. At that time I wasn’t confident in texturing so I just put a text object on each knob.

except the head it looks just like one brown mat… Mostlikely its the same as the body so perhaps its the lighting/camera angle.

yes, you’re correct. I did another render though with different lighting and it didn’t turn out better, so I stopped trying.

(Geez it was a university assingment to write a manual on how to string a guitar… that was like the first thing my music/guitar teacher got me to do and I was 13 (now 14)

actually it was for a design class, and it was I who picked the topic. we had to illustrate a task which required 5-7 steps of action, so I figured stringing a guitar would be neat. some other students picked opening a bottle of wine or a bra respectively. :slight_smile:

i like i like. but 2 hours!!! really if your ray tracing osa only needs to be at about 8 and youve got no scene so ao doesn’t need to be at full
a pic like that should take 30 mins max to render. play about a bit i’m sure you’ll agree you can cut the render time a lot without sacrifising quality

Oh, didn’t know about the osa thing, I guess that could’ve reduced the rendering time by half, right?
I think the other time-hog is that I literally maxed out the tesselation for the body and pick-guard bezier curve, and the tuning knobs’ subsurfs. well, next time I’ll try to keep it more cpu-friendly, I promise. :slight_smile:

Nice guitar! I’m trying to do one myself, but I’m having some problems with the bridge, so if you’ve got some tips or some good reference images you want to share I would appriciate it very much.
BTW were’s tho plug-in (I belive it’s called so) shouldn’t it be on the front of the guitar?

sure, if you want I can share the .blend, but beware, it’s quite messy. And yeah, there’s no jack, since it’s all digital (there’s a bluetooth module inside (or so they say)) :D.
No, actually I couldn’t figure out a good looking way to cut a hole into the body, since it is just a bevelled (is that the word?) bezier-curve. That’s also why there are no carvings for the palm and belly, if you know what I mean, since t’s impossible to thin out a curve at certain points, it seems.

I would love to see the .blend. Can you e-mail it to me?
Just send it to [email protected]
Thanks.

No need to check your mail, :slight_smile:
here it is: (~300k)
http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~s9327283/div/gitarre.blend

I should warn you, though, as i said it’s not the result of a clean workflow… :expressionless:

Wow great modeling job andishtahl, is that a maple neck?if it is maybe the colour should be a little lighter unless it’s been finished to look like the body,and the lower side of the headstock is missing the stratocaster signature curves, o nevermind i forgot it’s a copy :wink:

that’s because there’s none on the “analogue-original” ;). It sounds great, though. I bought it used, but it turned out to be the best strat-style guitar I ever played.