Elephants Dream #6 Landmark of CG Industry 2006

story here

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3890&page=3

congrats!

Woohoo! Congratulations to the Orange team!

That’s great news. The article’s a little confusing though. It doesn’t mention anything about what “open movie” means or the fact that Blender is open source. It mentions that Blender is “free” but that doesn’t quite seem to explain why this is a milestone.

In any case, I think it’s great to get this kind of attention. Congratulations to the Orange team!

The editor of that page needs to switch to decaf, or not be so hard pressed by deadlines :mad: to hack the text, leaving only the important buzzwords and thought fragments. But ya know what they say about publicity: it’s not what theyre saying about you, it’s that theyre saying something about you.

In any event, knowing the full history and story, I get it, and am proud to be part of it. Congratulations!! BRRR-Blender Rocks and Rules. Really. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, may as well leave the readers wanting more… maybe they’ll be motivated to click through just to find out what’s so special about it…

I suppose that any news is good news, just it seemed less about the software and the project compared to Tons personal history… I think it missed it’s mark addressing the fact that Elephants dream was a world first in many areas. But none the less The orange team should be damn proud of themselves. You made history!:wink:

I was going to make a thread about that but u beat me man!
That’s wonderful news since it’s #6, while PS3 is #7 and softimage is # 8…!!!
Great job Orange!

Yeah the article did seem to miss the point a lot didn’t it :S

Mentioned funds, and worries, but nothing to do with the world buying the source.

Oh well.

Alltaken

Have you guys read the closing note?

OK, so there it is! The community has voted and brought to the stage the very best in CG films, VFX and digital artistry in 2006. The major acquisition of the year being ‘Disney takes Pixar’, some punters feel it seems to be the other way around. Autodesk brings forth the new versions of Max and Maya, Softimage release Face Robot 1.5 and XSI 6, and the Blender community releases their very own open source movie, ‘Elephants Dream’.
The team here at CGSociety wish you and yours all the very best for the New Year ahead.
All the best,
Paul Hellard
Editor
CGSociety

Arrgg, I don’t know how I missed the voting this year. They never put anything up on the front page or emailed me if I recall. Glad to see people still voted for the movie though.

:slight_smile:

so there is a real reason for fireworks next weekend afterall…

.b

Oh basse, i never thought you would remember my birthday was next weekend… how kind of you.

Alltaken

I remembered. I don’t have fireworks but i;m gonna get really drunk to celebrate.

Isn’t it some holiday too?

And, yes that’s awesome to make #6. We beat out 3d Studio even :stuck_out_tongue:
But i lost about an hour reading the stuff about Davey Jones… i had NO idea he was all CG, i swear to god i thought it was makeup with some CG tentacles.