Elevators

This is something I did just to learn GE: http://www.muhuk.com/upload/elevator.zip
Beware that it contains graphical violence (textures and lightning may shorten you life expectancy :Z ).
I don’t think I will work on this one seriously again, but I’d like to do easy fixes. So critics and comments are wellcome (especially on game logic).

%| Post up some pics or something too. The lighting is really good (radiosity?).

The control is a little weird. Heh, provide a couple of instructions too. When you go into the elevator it’s a little weird cause you’re really high up. Don’t use dLoc for motion, because I can walk right through into an elevator without using the doors.

Umm, the elevator setup technically is very dangerous. I go up on one elevator and walk to the other side. There’s a huge opening there where someone could jump off :D.

Looked at the logic, but not sure why you need so much logic bricks on the elevators.

Nice work so far. :wink: Hehe, maybe if you make a FPS this could be part of the floor for a level.

Jason Lin

Coooool! I don’t think I could do something like that for a long time!

Actually, I don’t know much about using the GE, any recommended tutorials?

Umm, sorry for the late reply. :expressionless:

Post up some pics or something too.

Goldentaiji, I will surely post pictures and more info for my next project.

Umm, the elevator setup technically is very dangerous. I go up on one elevator and walk to the other side. There’s a huge opening there where someone could jump off.

I think I like it dangerous. Well I also like it logical. Thanks for pointing it out. :smiley:

Looked at the logic, but not sure why you need so much logic bricks on the elevators.

I think it is because I am a newbie. But this was a nice exercise and I have learned a lot. I wish I could solve that jumping/dancing/getting all uneasy when you travel in the elevator.

Coooool! I don’t think I could do something like that for a long time!

Actually, I don’t know much about using the GE, any recommended tutorials?

Raceimaztio, Actually I am new too. So I can’t suggest you anything. But I have read all the documentatin and still reading it time to time and this helped me a lot. For tutorials there should be some stiky somewhere or you can just use search. I don’t have a favorites list. Because you really don’t know which tutorial is good for you before you read it. And It (generally) doesn’t hurt reading all. :slight_smile:

By the way lighning is just 4 or 5 lights placed outside the model and then baked to vcol. No offence but the lighning & textures sucks IMO. I just posted it to get feedback on logic. I will try harder to make better visuals next time.

Thanks for the replies.

I hate to be the one to bring dead topics back to life, but as far as I can tell, this is the only post that had a good example of a working elevator (at least, to the way I wanted). I’ve tried searching for others on Google but nothing came close.

So I guess I’m posting in hopes that it will get someone to repost the elevator example.

Once again, I apologize for digging up an old topic, but I really need that example >_<

I would like to see it, but the link is broked.

Sorry for the broken link. A had deleted the file from the server and I can’t find it anywhere now. Anyway I will find and upload it in a couple hours.

edit:
I have uploaded my latest source file (same link). Elevator works ok, but the file is somehow broken. Character hops continuously and material (with packed textures) is not accessible with 2.41. (But they are there)
I had done it in 2.36.

Happy blending :smiley:

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been caught up with other things. Thanks for reposting the Elevator. I’ve looked at the codes and it doesn’t make all that much sense to me, but I’ll figure it out :smiley:

I’m not sure if this is a new thing in Blender 2.41, but to prevent hopping in game, you have to assign all “floors” with a Blender Material, with the dynamics turned on. Then you have to make sure that the logics for the empty that the camera linked to is set to “Do Fh”. That should prevent the hopping, but I don’t think it works with floors that have been duplicated AFTER the materials have been assigned…so you can just delete the materials and it should be fine (I’m guessing it’s a bug…)

Anyway, thanks again for reposting :smiley: This will really save me a lot of headache and give me a reference to work off of.

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but I have been looking for bge examples that have a good example of a working elevator and the use of a glass material. Apparently this fullfills both of those requirements. If someone still has this laying around, please rehost it somewhere so I can check it out.