Ellen sails again

In 1994 the solo transatlantic record was 7 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes, 42 seconds set by Frenchman Laurent Bourgnon in June 1994

This record stood unbroken until July this year when Francis Joyon took a 22 hour chunk out of this record: 6 days, 4 hours, 1 minute and 37 seconds

Ellen MacArthur is on the job…

http://www.teamellen.com/en/ellen.asp

I can’t stand that woman. She’s such a dweeb.

Who even cares that she’s sailing around the world? What’s the point? It seems like a waste of time to me.

Apart from women’s volleyball, that’s pretty much my opinion on sport in general.

Good to see you’re still on the forum osx. Let me think a moment…

I can’t stand that woman. She’s such a dweeb.

Is it the woman that you detest? Perhaps its the publicity that surrounds her? Or maybe its cause you haven’t seen her playing volleyball? What exactly makes you think she’s a dweeb? What is a dweeb?

The media create an image of the person and it is this image that we know. We do not know who she is really. We do know that she’s skilled at sailing boats and thats about it.

What the media do with this and whether they hype up the fact that she’s a woman is up to them. Its up to us whether we digest the stories and its up to our subconscious whether we let the archetypical story colour our perceptions and take us away from the reality of what we know.

Who even cares that she’s sailing around the world?

She’s not. She’s attempting to break the trans-atlantic record. If you have atlas, you’ll notice that the Atlantic Ocean is only one of the oceans she’d need to sail across if she were to sail around the world.

For instance, as Plato once said “Venture not to Hawaii if thou attemptest the Transatlantic Record”.

However, and since you mention it, Machiavelli had something to say about the Vendee Globe. Machiavelli, the famous astronaut from the 16th century BC suggested that a sure-fire way to beat the record for circumnavigation would be to create identical boats, leave them offshore of the major stop-offs and simply fly from one to the next, making sure that one spent considerable amounts of time in the tropics playing volloeyball. It was of course his mate Leonardo DaVinci who came up with the helicopter to enable this to happen. I conclude that we have much to thank Ellen Macarthur for.

As a postscript, machiavelli got bored with figuring out how to win the vendee globe and told Leonardo to go and do a painting of a womens volleyball match. …and THAT is how DaVinci came up with his idea which we now know as the Mona Lisa.

What’s the point? It seems like a waste of time to me.

This statement can be applied to anything. As such it is meaningless and somewhat pointless.

Apart from women’s volleyball, that’s pretty much my opinion on sport in general.

Do you think Ellen would be more virtuous if she devoted her attention to this sport instead?

dweeb: noun, informal, a boring, studious, or socially inept person.

She just seems like some kid jumping off a diving board going look at me, look at me. She puts herself in a dangerous situation and then wants people to congratulate her for making it out alive. I think it’s just pointless and stupid.

Machiavelli, the famous astronaut from the 16th century BC suggested that a sure-fire way to beat the record for circumnavigation would be to create identical boats

Possibly the astronomer from the 16th century AD? Or if you mean Niccolo Machiavelli, a political philosopher from the 16th century AD. Possibly you meant Ferdinand Magellan, the 16th century astronomer who circumnavigated the Earth?

I conclude that we have much to thank Ellen Macarthur for.

Why? What she’s doing has been done before. If she was discovering new civilisations or maybe charting previously uncharted territory, it might show some merit but she is just trying to do something pointless faster than someone else. To me that’s no better than a contest eating cold baked beans with a cocktail stick.

and THAT is how DaVinci came up with his idea which we now know as the Mona Lisa.

She could never have played volleyball in that outfit.

[quote]What’s the point? It seems like a waste of time to me.

This statement can be applied to anything. As such it is meaningless and somewhat pointless.[/quote]

Yeah, I have that opinion about a lot of things but there are things that are more important than others. If a doctor patches up your broken arm, I would see that as useful. If a truck driver transports supplies to a remote village, I would see that as useful. Ellen McArthur sailing around for the hell of it or for an achievement seems pointless in the same way Big Brother is pointless.

[quote]Apart from women’s volleyball, that’s pretty much my opinion on sport in general.

Do you think Ellen would be more virtuous if she devoted her attention to this sport instead?[/quote]

Nah, she’s too fugly.

there are better ways to spend ones time and $$ than sailing around the world… im with osxrules. it sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

People who devote their lives to sports generally do it because they’re not too great at anything else useful.

Of course you could say the same thing about 3d art.

darnit, I should’ve waited to read forum thoughts before splashing out on her book. Nice pictures though.

osx, I don’t know where you get the patience to fiddle around with all the quote blocks. Lest this turn into a quote-war, I’ll just say that you are partially right. It was actually Michelangelo, the famous goat-herd who recommended flying by helicopter. Apart from this, everything else is based on my thorough research on the jurassic period.

Interestingly, the comments here introduce a deep philosophical issue which could take many forum pages to elucidate. The idea that things that are useful are practical things like a doctor to fix a broken arm, a mechanic a roofer or a nurse in suspenders (oops). Contrasted with the notion that sailing around the world is therefore useless.

BUT… GCat’s thesis is that this is too utilitarian and fails to explain why people still watch Carry On films or search high and low for the whole back catalogue of Twin Peaks or mess around with 3D art. What good is this? It doesn’t appear to be of any practical value. Nor do animated films, fictional stories, endless philsophical speculation.

NO… I think the reason why people (and as I mentioned before I have no evidence as yet as to whether Ellen is seeking fame and publicity {as this is central to my main thesis} or simply pushing herself to her personal limits {my assumption} [bit like the Olympics]) like films, books, etc etc is that they like a good story. And in the case of Ellen, its not a made up story, but a darn good ripping yarn which people can live vicariously from the comfort of their armchair whilst eating provolone cheese and biscuits.

and if one stops and considers what sort of story the Vendee Globe was… it has all the elements of a classic tale. Two adversaries, triumph in the face of adversity, a nail biting ending, a human being existing / surviving in the middle of the raw power of nature and lots of little subplots.

My thesis? It might mean a great stride forward within the realm of speed sailing across oceans. However, this is of little or no concern to people who are not interested in speed sailing across oceans.

You’ll also get little or no cares when posting about a new and faster SSS algorithm in a canoeing forum.

A little postscript for everyone: don’t feed the trolls (trolls don’t always start threads…they reply to them instead).

i think shbaz hit it on the head of the nail. I dont really care much for volleyball OR sailing. maybe if she sat down to break some type of 3d-related record i would give a hoot (or anyone else here).

nhye… it’s got nothing to do with volleyball or nails in the head. Those of us who sail, are interested in sailing or can see the virtues of improving the sail-area to displacement limitations are already aware of her endeavours.
And we can also spot GCat’s Letters-to-the-Editor abilities.

%<