Emissions property: how come increasing its strength changes its colour?

Why is it that when an emissions property is set to 1 the model’s emission colour matches the set colour as shown over here.

But if I set it to 114.3, how come it looks different?

Is there a way to change this where no matter what the strength is, the colour remains the same?

Blender effectively multiplies the R, G & B by the emit value.

This can be very useful for things like fire and lightning that appear white but give off a coloured glow around them.

If you want something to appear one colour on screen, but give off more light than that, you can look into the lightpaths node which has options to split materials … so a material can appear one way to the camera, and another way for casting shadows and reflections.

1 Like

How would I do this exactly mate?

Lightpath: Is Camera Ray into the mix factor of a mix node.

the two shaders into the other two inputs.

So it does look different when I connected the emissions node to the mix shader node but adding in the Camera Ray into the mix shader node doesn’t seem to do anything under rendered mode.

Without mix shader

With mix shader (with LightPath)

Did I set it up correctly?

not quite…

Light Path: Is Camera Ray outputs a 1 for a camera ray and a 0 for anything else. This needs to go into Mix Shader Fac.

Into the other two slots you need two emission shaders: The first is for when you are not dealing with a camera ray (high strength) - the second for purely what the camera sees (strength 1)

1 Like

I think i see what you are saying now and it works I believe.

But can you please explain to me what is LightPath, Camera Ray and how all this stuff works please as I don’t understand this and I would like to understand it better?

Here is a rundown of the light path node from cgcookie.

1 Like