Emmerich Rhine at Sunrise (Suspension Bridge)

This is my replication of the Emmerich Rhine Bridge in Germany. Here’s wikipedia on it (for reference photos):

Here’s the piece. I would like civil, yet honest feedback. Don’t just say “oh it’s sooo good!” or “that’s crazy!” I get enough of that from my parents. Be critical and tell me what to fix! :slight_smile:

Full resolution image download (4096*2304): http://jumbofiles.com/gy58b4b8tnv8

PS: The grass was rendered with 110000 hair particles with 40 child particles. There are 15000 trees in the background. (Instances for the win!)

It looks good so far! Now, before you kill me for saying that, here are some things you might want to consider changing :stuck_out_tongue:

1.) The scale. The grass is too big, making the bridge look smaller than it should be.

2.) The water material doesn’t seem quite accurate. The reflections are still too sharp, and the bump mapping is too strong (and the texture used for it is too large).

3.) The positioning of the sun seems a little off, though I’m not sure why. If it is behind the bridge, though, I would add a lens flare or rays of light or something to make it seem a bit more interesting.

4.) Add some cars or something moving across the bridge! I don’t know much about it, but I’m sure that there are cars driving across it 24/7 in real life.

5.) As far as composition goes, don’t just show half-ground, half-sky. Either make the image 2/3 sky or 2/3 ground. I’m not sure where the top of the bridge would fit in with that, but it’s just a suggestion that seems to improve landscape-type images.

6.) This is my final critique (for now :wink: ), but I noticed that in the image on the wikipedia article, it wasn’t all grass on the ground. Some spots were sandy, some spots had plants/weeds. Just try adding something like that to make it look a little better and more interesting.

That’s all. Nice start!

“1.) The scale. The grass is too big, making the bridge look smaller than it should be”

You’re right. I would fix this, but I have to use a different computer (my brother’s) ti reender it because I don’t have enough RAM and he’s fairly annoyed at it.

"2.) The positioning of the sun seems a little off, though I’m not sure why. If it is behind the bridge, though, I would add a lens flare or rays of light or something to make it seem a bit more interesting.

The reflections could be a little bit blurrier, but the material is just nearly black. The color is the reflection of the sky.

“3.) The positioning of the sun seems a little off, though I’m not sure why. If it is behind the bridge, though, I would add a lens flare or rays of light or something to make it seem a bit more interesting.”

I actually disagree with you about the position of the sun. I tried different places, and that is the best one. I could add glare, but I don’t think it’s too neccesary.

“4.) Add some cars or something moving across the bridge! I don’t know much about it, but I’m sure that there are cars driving across it 24/7 in real life”

I disagree with this. I think the scene is about the bridge, not the cars. From the angle I chose, I don’t think that miniscule amount of detail would help much.

"5.) As far as composition goes, don’t just show half-ground, half-sky. Either make the image 2/3 sky or 2/3 ground. I’m not sure where the top of the bridge would fit in with that, but it’s just a suggestion that seems to improve landscape-type images.

You could be right, but I played around with the camera angle for a while, and I really like the current one.

Thank you for your feedback. :slight_smile: