Enchanted Forest - Final Thoughts

Hi everyone,

I’m submitting this piece for critique. This scene turned into a Lothlorien/Rivendell-inspired scene, and I’ve been using it as a way to hone my modeling and texturing skills, particularly making some assets from scratch. I used some textures from Poliigon and the Graswald addon as well as the Real Trees addon from Wolf on the market, but I ended up making some of my own tree trunks and stumps because I wanted a sense of some larger trees.

I used a texture mask to paint a gradient between the dirt/clay banks up to a forest ground texture around the rest of the terrain, but most of that was in vain since I covered it with grass, rocks, flowers, and moss from Graswald.

I modeled in some old wooden benches, but they’re a little tough to spot (need a better position for them or just eliminate altogether). Wanted to make this feel like a place to sit and reflect, but I’m not sure if that comes across at all.

The water is just a rectangular cube with subdivisions and a rippling water shader, which I modified from a CGCookie lesson I saw ages ago. It looks great from certain angles, but I don’t have any white water, foam, or bubbles, and from high angles the edge between the banks and the water is too sharp…plus I don’t have a wetmap on the bank, so it looks phony. Thinking of running a Flip Fluid sim, but I’m still getting used to that. I also added leaves and some sticks to the water for extra texture and breakup.

Lots of stuff on the bridge were modeled using curves with beveling and then a mirror modifier to get some curvy repetition. Same with the ivy, which was made with a home-made leaf model and texture and curves. I used a shrinkwrap modifier to attach the ivy to the top portion of the bridge, but I was getting strange side effects with that–certain portions of the ivy would lock into a straight line vertically or horizontally.

Color and little lens flares performed in DaVinci Resolve. I used a fog glow node and a few other slight color adjustments in the compositor first and then added a touch more diffusion in Resolve.

The deer in the background of the older renders were done with silhouette deer images with alpha masks dropped in as an image as plane.

I see places for obvious improvement, but I’m looking for fresh eyes. Thank you all in advance!

Early renders in chronological order:

5 Likes

Forgot to post stuff about how I constructed the scene. I’ll upload other rendered stills and information about the scene shortly!

No critical feedback. Really really like the look. Its got a great “Rivendell feel.” So I would regard the scene as a beautiful success.

I also liked the day scene with the volumetrics. Very cool as well. looks like you used GRASWALD veg in the foreground.

Your render looks like matte painting illustration or a book cover …

Good to Go

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback, FXR! I did use Graswald quite a bit in this scene. Incredible add-on!

1 Like