Energy saving lamp

Hi,
I wanted to deal with the challenge to render an energy-saving lamp, both switched off and on.
Here the results. I modeled the tube and the screw using a CAD software, while the white base and the stage are modeled directly in Blender.
I used Yaf(a)Ray 0.1.0 as render engine (see attachments).
The modeling is not much detailed, I just wanted to care about the glass tube.
The switched-off version took twice the time of the other, due to over-dimensioned anti-aliasing.

Any comments are appreciated.

Attachments

It looks pretty realistic.
I just can’t understand the lighting in the second image - it creates a weird texture over both the floor and the lamp base. I’d expect something much simplier - just that areas closer to any part of the bulb would be lighter.
Maybe it’s caused by a low simulation quality? I have no experience with yafaray, but the DOF looks also a bit under-calculated.

Thanks!

I just can’t understand the lighting in the second image - it creates a weird texture over both the floor and the lamp base. I’d expect something much simplier - just that areas closer to any part of the bulb would be lighter.
You are right!
I didn’t enable the “Transparent shadows” option.
Here is the same image with “Transparend shadows” enabled (and “fake shadows” option enabled for the tube material).

I have no experience with yafaray, but the DOF looks also a bit under-calculated.

I have a very little experience with DOF, maybe I should increase quality.

Thank you!

Attachments

Those images look quite good, though shouldn’t the light coming from the “on” lamp be much brighter? I also have no experience with Yafray, but the image in your last post looks a little grainy. Probably increasing a sample rate somewhere would fix this. Otherwise everything looks very realistic (to me, at least :)).

it looks cute!!!

Wow, the first image looks great! Though for the second one, hmmMMm, it has an abnormal way of lighting some parts of the bulb itself and the plane it is on.

Usually the glow on the bulb part itself would be softer when on, you would see the shape if squinting, but you won’t see any dark areas.

The bulb looks nice though.

It depends on exposition of the “photo”.
Try to take a shoot of a lamp: if you want to save details in lights you’ll get a dark background and an apparent weak emission of light.
(cfr.
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-19215669.jpg?size=572&uid={e6d3aa27-7c9c-4906-893f-8a2486b595c6})

If you use the same exposition used for the switched off version, you will probably get a good detailed background but an overexposed bulb.

I wanted to depict the first case.

I also have no experience with Yafray, but the image in your last post looks a little grainy. Probably increasing a sample rate somewhere would fix this.
You’re right. I wanted to get it without wating too long.:wink:
Maybe I have to increase quality.

Otherwise everything looks very realistic (to me, at least :)).
Thanks!

This is a new render with increased photons, AA samples and light samples. It seems decrease noise.

Attachments

Take a lightbulb and do it in real life,
have a look at it and compare it to your picture.
these bulbs are designed to light up whole rooms, i would imagine that it would cast MUCH more light onto the scene than that, and the base would probably cast a much sharper shadow.

Just my input, hope it didnt seem harsh.

Oh, complimenti! :wink:
The first image is extremely realistic, so the latest of your.
You managed to fix the odd behaviour of the light the second attachement shows.