enlistment in the United States Navy!!!

i have just enlisted in the USN as of 09-27-2004 and by the time i’m done with basic training and the school for my job i will be an E-4

Going to have to enlighten us on some of the aspects… we like to know thats why we are registered at this forum. Like do you know where you’re going to be positioned? On a carrier, sub, destroyer? Also I’m pretty sure an E-4 is an electronics guy but I could be incorrect so enligten us about your job to!

Good luck to you and have fun at boot camp.

Haha, man that reminded me of a simpsons episode… “Superliminal? yeah… YOU! JOIN THE NAVY!” :wink:

I’m not planning on joining any army/navy when there’s a war going on… :stuck_out_tongue: Well, I wouldn’t join any other time but it’s cool that you did. Good luck!

E-4 is the rating (Enlisted Man, paygrade 4), otherwise known as a Petty Officer 3rd class. This is 1 level above Seaman.

Congratulations Sailor!

What does a navyman have to fear? If you were on a sub, you’d be on one of the most undetectable subs in the world with no other subs to fight with. The only other countries that have them are about 30 years behind in the most important technology. The only countries that have warships that are good enough to fight us are our allies or countries who couldn’t afford to lose theirs (and would anyway if they fought us). Aircraft carriers are heavy targets but they are also heavily protected. Navy fighter pilots are flying warplanes that time and time again come up on top on a world scale, very rarely going down in a fight. Most of what the Navy does is miles offshore, firing missles. Other than that it’s mostly readiness training to fill the ~15 year gap since there was a cold war (which wasn’t very cold for people who were in the Navy, btw).

So yeah, I think he made a good choice. If I had any fear of a draft, I’d join the navy at the drop of a hat. When I was graduating high school they offered me schooling to become a nuclear technician. :wink:

Congratulations. We have some friends with a daugther that just finished Basic up at Great Lakes. She is in the electronics technician school right now.

What specialty are you going into? I work at a Navy facility, mostly civilians and a lot of retired/former military. You can get into some very interesting career fields.

What does a navyman have to fear? If you were on a sub, you’d be on one of the most undetectable subs in the world with no other subs to fight with. The only other countries that have them are about 30 years behind in the most important technology. The only countries that have warships that are good enough to fight us are our allies or countries who couldn’t afford to lose theirs (and would anyway if they fought us). Aircraft carriers are heavy targets but they are also heavily protected. Navy fighter pilots are flying warplanes that time and time again come up on top on a world scale, very rarely going down in a fight. Most of what the Navy does is miles offshore, firing missles. Other than that it’s mostly readiness training to fill the ~15 year gap since there was a cold war (which wasn’t very cold for people who were in the Navy, btw).

So yeah, I think he made a good choice. If I had any fear of a draft, I’d join the navy at the drop of a hat. When I was graduating high school they offered me schooling to become a nuclear technician. ;)[/quote]

Heh heh, Sorry I was just being my sarcastic self…you guys will start to get used to it eventually. :wink: I realy do think he’s doing something worthwhile, I have admiration for those in the service I’m just not one to join up. :smiley: And if there ever is a draft…I’ll write you guys from canada! :wink:

I did 4 years in the US Navy, first 2 were exciting, last 2 felt like serving time in prison.

Funny, but after I got out I met some guys who did serve time in prison and we had some of the same lingo and knew the same card games. LOL. Never again :stuck_out_tongue:

Where can you find pleasure
Search the world for treasure
Learn science technology
Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
On the land or on the sea
Where can you learn to fly
Play in sports and skin dive
Study oceanography
Sign of for the big band
Or sit in the grandstand
When your team and others meet

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, fall in ‘n’ make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can’t you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

They want you, they want you
They want you as a new recruit

If you like adventure
Don’t you wait to enter
The recruiting office fast
Don’t you hesitate
There is no need to wait
They’re signing up new seamen fast
Maybe you are too young
To join up today
Bout don’t you worry 'bout a thing
For I’m sure there will be
Always a good navy
Protecting the land and sea

In the navy
Yes, you can sail the seven seas
In the navy
Yes, you can put your mind at ease
In the navy
Come on now, fall in ‘n’ make a stand
In the navy, in the navy
Can’t you see we need a hand
In the navy
Come on, protect the motherland
In the navy
Come on and join your fellow man
In the navy
Come on people, and make a stand
In the navy, in the navy, in the navy (in the navy)

Who me?

But, but but I’m afraid of water.
Hey, hey look
Man, I get seasick even watchin’ it on TV!

They want you, they want you in the navy

Oh my goodness.
What am I gonna do in a submarine?

They want you, they want you in the navy

god I hated that band! :smiley:

LOL @ner.

hey good luck in the navy, one military group which is fairly safe (from other people that is)

Alltaken

hey good luck man.

while the navy isn’t as glamorous as the airforce or as respected as the army, it sure beats getting shot at. And you get a badge/uniform type thingy!

I would definitely choose to enlist in the navy if there was a big draft. Sitting at a radio/satelite analyst desk in an aircraft carrier you have a zero percent chance of getting shot by terrorists.

i’m going to be in the sub electronic computer field