Enviri alphabet test

After getting some helpful feedback on my last post (shout out to sozap for the help and support), I found some excellent resources and videos and decided to kick it up a notch. This is a first test of an alphabet I have been developing (working title is Enviri), and I am liking the results. The image is a text object that is using a custom font that I am working on. I’m a big Tolkien fan, so creating a writing system like this that can be used in a sci-fi/fantasy setting is a lot of fun for me.

For those who are interested in making something like this themselves, here is the workflow that I am currently using. For these particular letters I started with the calligraphic tool in Inkscape to get the shape that I wanted, and then traced over them with the bezier pen tool (kind of like retopology) to make the final object. Then I resized the object to fit a box of 1000x1000 pixels, saved it as a svg file, and imported it into FontForge. Rinse and repeate for each letter. I used FontForge to generate a test font (currently just 10 symbols out of 50+), made a text object in Blender, and changed the font to the one I created.

After that it was as easy as typing letters on my keyboard. I should have the first version of this alphabet finished in the next day or two.

3 Likes