Environment: Courtyard

I want to learn to model architectural models <sigh>. Here is an wall I guess. Nothing special. One day I hope to make something like garbager’s work. This is NOWHERE near anything of that caliber.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/earnest/wall.jpg

Nice light and textures

thanks pofo

The lighting is fake GI and the wall has a bitmap texture applied as a negative NOR value. The tiles are plane duplicated and extruded , laying over a large plane for the tile grout. The texture on them is procedural (clouds).

I want to lean to model building and structures so bad. There are some great CG artists out there.

One suggestion, maybe make the corner of the walls SLIGHTLY more rounded. this is no easy task, but most wall like that have very rounded out corners.

I agree whole heartedly. I should have began with a rounded cube perhaps?

you seem to have gone to a lot of trouble on the floor but because of the angle, it appears just to be an image to me. Maybe if the camera was lower and looking up it might show more. The textures on the wall are great. The doorways look kinda wierd, maybe you should have a bit of light coming out of them? Although if you’re trying to get better at the modelling, then you probably shouldn’t bother. Nice work.

Wow! A visionary masterpeice. Andrew Lloyd Webber move over. Maybe not, but not such a bad WIP. Just some more rounded corners and increase the size of your spots. You really don’t need faked GI on this image unless you want to practice it. Keep it up!

Yes, I agree with everyone on most of their points. The boorways are a bit funky. Maybe if they had some sort of border? like a keystone arch?

Also the floor inside the doorways looks a bit unfinished? What were you going for there?

How do I convey the apperance of being outside without GI? (this was an attempt at a courtyard, well sort off)

I always wondered about the camera angle and floor/ground defenition. Is ot the case that for it to be most effective the camera must be near the ground? Plus there is always the jaggy issue (although I’ve avoided it on these two renders). This image uses a image instead

What’s the best was to avoid jaggies and get nice RAISED floor/ground definition? Anyone have good suggestions? Do you model the floor/ground elements or do you use good bump map textures?

I have basically two cubes with the arch in them, juxtapositioned.

How would I round them at this point? Sundbivide a few times, then Subsurf?

Round them?

You mean bevel the edges?

YOu should prpare a beveled profile and spin it :slight_smile:

Stefano

ec2, how the **** did you model the glass? My glass materials are so, well, not glass-like. Can you send me the material values or even write a tutorial?

About your question, I think the best way would be to model a beveled cube, duplicate it and place the copies evenly spaced over a plane, slightly elevated. I didn’t try it, but I think it looks good from any angle.

About the work in question, my first humble impression was that it was the corner of a bathroom, with two mouseholes neatly made :). Maybe increase the number of squares on the floor or make the shadows of the stones proportionate. I think it would help if the walls weren’t so high above the door (at least a window or balcony i think) and if we could see some landscape or sky. That would really set the scene outside. IMHO

Can you explain how, exactly? Or at least your method?

Ok… the easiest way (and simplest, so you can do better than this.

Suppose you want a arch in front (NUM1 view)

Go in top view.

Add a plane

Subdivide once

erase 4 vertexes so that you end with 5 vertexes in C shape

|

Subdivide

Unselect the rightmost and center (3) vertexes

subdivide

Unselect another 4 vertexes, you should always have two groups of three vertexes selected top left and bottom left

Subdivide

Repeat a couple of time

Press Smooth 2 or three times

Select all

Move left 3 or 4 units

Go front view

Spin for 180 degrees with at least 18 steps, counterclockwise

That’s it :slight_smile:

(Decimate, please)

Stefano

or if you are using an existing model that you do’nt want to re make from scratch.

subdivide all of a face from 4 vert into 9 vert then once more.
select the outside verts and sub div again… etc… untill the edges are as small as you want.

go to top view and pull the corner in a bit.

or select all of the middle ones and pull them out a bit.

also if you want the wall to look really natural or plastered.

subdivide the faces about 4 times select all of the inner vertex’s and hit the noise button heas after choosing the cloud texture.

after that hit the smooth button a bit.

wala!!!

should come out great

I love the fact you saw them as a mouse holes. I thought that myself!
Yes the tiles need to be much smaller. I’ll be sure to try your suggestions when I get serious about modeling an outdoor scene. I can help you with glass.

To make glass:

1. Model your desired object(s) and scene. (I have 4 spots in this scene, one using energy value of 1.000, the others equaling 1.000. They all use 1.000 for edge softness, and 8.00 for Samples and Softness.)

2. Apply a new Material (F5). Do not set up any vaules at this point.

3. Apply a new Texture (F6). Select Blend, then Halo.

4. Return to your Material.

-FIRST COLUMN OF BUTTONS-
5. Set the Alpha slider to 0.000 ( I set it between 0.000 and 0.200 if using an env map so it will show up on the ‘glass’)
6. Set Spec, Hard, and Sp Tr to the maximum value.
7. Add, Ref, Emit and Amb are all set to 0.

-MIDDLE COLUMN OF BUTTONS-
8. Set Ztransp to on, its just to the right of the Ref slider.
9. Set the Nor to on to use it as your texture cordinates set up in step 3.
10. DISABLE X and Y scaling (this is key).

-LAST COLUMN OF BUTTONS-
11. Set only Alpha to on so your texture affects the objects alpha value.

1. Render.

Good luck.

I got it to work with a real quick test. Thank you.

Now that I think about it it makes total sense to set up the profile first.
Forgive me, but I’m still learning to think in 3D. :wink:

I think part of the problem with the doors is the proportions in the scene. While the textures and lighting are well done, the height of the doors suggests the height of a human, and the walls seem to continue endlessly upward. This may be the effect you are looking for, but I think the scene would look better with some other reference point. Maybe some detailing high on the walls? A second level?

One final point with the doors, perhaps they should be a bit wider for their heigth. I know I could fit through them, but I’m the skinniest guy you ever will meet. :smiley:

Overall, a great WIP. Can’t wait to see it with more additions.

Turrin