Environment map from invisible layer?

I’m trying to render in layers for compositing into video.

My idea is to create an object with the environment image/movie material on it which the Environment Map “Camera” can see. But I don’t want that sphere in the picture (because I JUST want the ship in the picture which I’ll composite into the video).

I tried putting the environment “Camera” in a separate layer with the Environment object and not displaying that layer.

• That didn’t work.

I tried leaving the environment object in that layer, but moving the Environment “Camera” into the same layer as the ship and setting it not to render any of the layers except the one with the Environment object.

• That didn’t work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

hmm…I don’t fully understand what you are trying to do here, but I’ll try and answer anyway.

Try creating two files, one with just the ship and one with the environment object. You can then append the camera from one scene to the next with the shift+F1 command. That way you can composite the videos together later.

Probably not what you want, but if you describe a bit more what you are trying to do, I can probably help.

I’m puzzled too. The Sequence Editor is a video editor, and it will probably be necessary to use it to combine material to make the finished product. But I can’t visualize the scene at all.

It is really a bit confusing that you first talk about an object that you want and than suddenly about a sphere that you don’t want. What sphere???

But if you want an envmap of a layer that doesn’t show up in the final rendering (as I assume from your title) you could render the envmap to disk in a first step. Then in a second step render the scene without the respective layer and load the pre-rendered envmap from disk.

Usagi, you’ve got it! Sorry I didn’t explain myself more clearly.

When rendering an animation with “Anim” Env Map, once you’ve gone through with the environment map, then you go into the Texture settings and save the Environment Map? What format is it saved in–whatever the render settings are set to? Or does it have it’s own extension?

Thanks again!

ok. I think I get what you are trying to do now

Saving the envmap is easy…once you have it rendered go to the texture buttons and under the envmap options choose save…It saves it in the format that you set in the renderbuttons…I’d suggest using .jpg, but hey, it’s up to you :wink: