environment-map nodes-material excluding shadows

hi!
recently i discovered the magic of environment-maps, and i love them! they’re adding so much realism to my project! but now i want to reduce the increased render-time. so the question is:
is there a way to exclude environment-maps from the shadow-pass? i mean, i’m using fake-GI and one irregular-shadow-spot in a very large scene so it takes very long to render. but with an animated environment-map it just takes too long. and why would i need environment-maps with correct shadows? it is enough to have the objects reflected in the water. if i could exclude the environment-maps from the shadow pass it would speed things up. the env_map should be rendered without shadows, the scene itself with shadows. maybe with proxy-objects from another scene with material set to no shadow? or compositing nodes? but how would i get the information from within material-nodes into the compositing nodes?.. hm…sowehow i am a afraid there is no way to do this…:no:
any ideas?

okay, there’s probably no solution for this.
but i’ve got another question regarding env_maps. i have a scene with 4 node-materials using two envmaps. (two materials use the same env_map, created by the same Empty. i put them together with nodes) i thought, there would be two env_maps created, for each Empty one. but it seems that blender calculates an env_map for each of the 4 materials. but aren’t there two of them unnecessary? and how can i solve this? or am i doing something wrong?

well, i just keep on asking…
it seems that the pre-rendering of environment-maps isn’t multithreaded, right? is there a chance to change this? you know, i really need them, but it slows everything down for reasons that could be avoided (as described above). i don’t know why nobody sems to have an answer; perhaps the usage of env_maps is not so popular as they would deserve it. they are just adding that special magic to your scenes without a need for raytracing. but, as stated above, it seems to me that blender doesn’t handle them so efficient as it could be. but, perhaps i am doing something wrong. so i would be really glad if someone has an answer. :slight_smile:

oh come on guys! :slight_smile:
there must be some way to speed up env_maps!
would it be possible to write a script to do the following:
render the env_map (you know, the animated one that’s rendered from the view of an empty) without shadows and AO, store the result in some temporary file, and use the result as the texture-input for different materials as an env_map. that would be a lot faster then rendering it with full shadows and raytracing. the final rendering of the frames will then be with shadows and raytracing - and the temporary env_map.

I know i could do that by hand, but for an animation it would be cool to do that dynamically. i know completely nothing about scripting, so it would be nice if someone could say if it is possible or not, and if so, i will go and ask (or better beg?) some scripting-guru if he could write a script. i think this could benefit a lot of people who use environment-maps in animations.
but if i am doing something wrong here or missed something or whatever - tell me!