Environments

I’m doing an 8 week workshop on environment design (in Photoshop) with the CGSociety. Some of you might be interested in the process. Week 1, quick value studies with a limited range of values. Here are a couple. I have to complete 10 for homework, approx 15 mins each. Actually I’m probably taking closer to 30 mins for each of these. The idea is that foreground objects are darker, background elements are lighter.

Attachments

3 Likes

…and another. Perspective is a bit out, just concentrating on composition and values at this point.

Attachments

Here’s a couple more.

Attachments

1 Like

Week 2. This week we’re concentrating on making (hopefully) interesting shapes.

Attachments

Not really part of my course, but a shape that I created in Alchemy I used as a brush texture for sculpting a plane in Blender and also as the basis for a terrain in Vue.

Attachments

Nice. I recognize a few scenes from LOTR in there (corect me if I’m wrong).

The troops exiting the gate was inspired by the army coming out of Minas Morgul, but the earlier landscapes actually came from various landscape photos that I have, although they do look similar to LTOR scenes. Perhaps some of the strucures look rather elphin but in reality the images were derived from a chemical plant, highly processed of course.

That’s the ones I meant. I’ve seen those movies…more than once. I like the mood in these.

A couple more shape studies. The idea is to use these as custom shapes to rapidly populate a canvas with a consistent design language.

Attachments

2nd really reminds me of the sydney opera house. =)

It was inspired by some sail boats on the Nile, but I believe the architect of the opera house was similarly inspired.

I can use this to build some trees. Tree kit. This is a carob tree. Sort of.

Attachments

I’ve done what Simon (tutor) calls a Call Out of one of my shapes.

Attachments

Some baobab like plants, and some post-Gehry architecture, created in Alchemy.

Attachments

Another value study.

Attachments

OK, so I’ve got this crazy structure. I’ll have to think about actually modelling it :spin:

Attachments

Loosely based on my concept. Modelled in Blender (sculpting mostly) and rendered in Vue.

Attachments

Fooling around with some of the stuff we’ve been doing. Not really part of the course, at least not yet.

Attachments

Week 3 - more value studies. Copy landscapes in monochrome, plus paint a few fantasy scenes (also monochrome.

Attachments

So here’s another. A few issues but I think I’ve worked out what I wanted to.

Attachments

This one hasn’t worked as well. This approach is basically about painting the z buffer, and in this scene reflections from the water significantly affect value too so it’s a bit of a mess.

Attachments