Epic Games donates 10k euros to Blender Development Fund

Well, for what it’s worth, this does appear to be more Streisand Effect than anything else. Wasn’t much to it before someone came in and threatened to ban people for discussing the subject. The issue is currently more about the line between censorship and moderation than it is anything else.

Obligation? There is most certainly not a legal obligation to my knowledge, but whether there is a moral one is an argument that has already been thrashed out elsewhere. Feel free to peruse the Gooseberry threads for the details.

As I said earlier, I don’t think the issue being discussing is the so-called “corruption” one any longer. Freedom of speech, censorship, etc are all phrases focused about the propriety of threatening to ban people for talking about it. Much as I would prefer to get back to the subject of Epic getting on board the Blender game-dev train, when a moderator makes threats about banning people for discussing recent events (and seems to acknowledge that’s not necessarily a good thing for a moderator to do in the same post), it’s going to inflame discussion :frowning:

I wasn’t really speculating or Blaming anyone or whatever. I was just referring to the steam workshop incident which got Ton a lot of heat from a lot of Blender users. To which I defended Ton I might add.

I really do not want to have that debate again which is why I brought it up at this stage.

@BTolputt - yep, I was there, but stopped reading at some point (IIRC), I wasn’t sure exactly what was referred to, but your summery sounds about right.

Agree that its a worry if people are not allowed to refer to topics. On the other hand there is a kind of degenerate bickering thats all too common here and I’d like to avoid it where possible, though not sure its it can be solved by applying rules. :S

@Tiles, I wasn’t aware this forum had a policy on freedom of speech, But note that no posts here have been mod’ed so far.

you
juː/
pronoun

1. used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
    “are you listening?”
    2. used to refer to any person in general.
    “after a while, you get used to it”

if
ɪf/
conjunction
1.introducing a conditional clause:
synonyms: on condition that, provided (that), providing (that), presuming (that), supposing (that), assuming (that), on the assumption that, allowing (that), as long as, given that, with the provision/proviso that, with/on the understanding that, if and only if, contingent on, in the event that, allowing that More
“if the weather is fine, we can walk to the village”
despite the possibility that; no matter whether.
“if it takes me seven years, I shall do it”

@Piotr,

No excuse? Instead a trolling attempt at the top? Seriously? Now that’s very grown up.

@Tiles, I wasn’t aware this forum had a policy on freedom of speech,

Ouch!

I see. Thanks. So just Moderators and Fanboy opinions allowed. Good to know …

But note that no posts here have been mod’ed so far.

There is minimum one post reported as abuse and SHOULD be mod’ed. I think calling somebody an asshole is even here forbidden.

No, no excuse. It’s not my fault you apparently took personally something that clearly wasn’t aimed at you. Or are you suggesting Randall Munroe insulted every one of his readers in that XKCD strip?

Yes i do. This strip suggests that everybody who has free speech is an asshole. And on top of that, Munroe might not have meant it that way, but i think you definitely did. Your post explicitely aims at me.

i think you need to re-read that strip, you evidently didn’t understand the point!

Congratulations! Yet another good news post went completely offtopic with no reason at all. Go express your opinions about non-related topics where they belong. This thread definitely is not about corruption or moderation or your hurt personal feelings.

EDIT: If I would be a mod, I would ban a certain mouse (rat?) for provoking arguments left and right.

EDIT #2: Not you, Piotr! Wrong mouse. :smiley:

I rest my case, your honor.

I also use blender for game asset creation, have been from the start. But don’t rant about the missing things I would like implemented to blender or how things should be run/managed. Dont flame blame Ton and be disrespectful and ungrateful.

My personal opinion is that if I would like something to change I should setup or help setup the conditions most suitable for that change to happen.

Since 2009 I have been waiting for better sculpt tools , per vertex normal editing, bake cage , etc etc… So when I had the funds I joined to blenderfund, been a gold member since feb 2012. Now looking back I should have been a member since 2009 donating 5-10 what ever small amount I could.

I have never regretted my decision to donate; some of those features are implemented now or in the process of being implemented . I am sure in the future more of it will be in blender.

So if you want things to change make the conditions for it. I been saying to people that a small donation of 5 euros can make a big change, because the number of people donating is more important than the amount of money .

Gooseberry or blenderfund doesn’t really matter the point is it helps, If you’re strict in your opinion about just development of features go to blenderfund.

I’m really excited for the news. I’ve tried importing assets into UDK 3 And had some issues. I would so love to be able very easily get things into Unreal! Someone brought up the idea of making Unreal materials in Blender. I don’t know doable that is, but I can see that really helping out with asset creation by allowing the artist to really see what he’s doing. ( or maybe it’s actually better to import and sea with materials right in the engine)

It might be pretty neat to have node group(s) that emulates the PBR setup in the UE editor that would allow a cycles material to look as close as possible to what it would look like in UE. Some export helpers to export the material on top of that would be amazing. Obviously some nodes would be restricted or not used, but a good number of them could be.

I’ve just had to delete a large chunk of the posts in this thread; I’ll PM the people whose posts I’ve deleted shortly.

Please keep your posts on topic. If you want to bicker or talk semantics, then please do so via PM.
Please do not troll. If someone trolls, then please don’t respond to them. You respond, they win. It’s that simple.

From today`s Blender developer meeting notes: http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2014-July/043862.html

• Ton Roosendaal confirms that Epic Games became a big sponsor for the Development Fund. Their main interest is in getting Blender to read/write FBX better. Bastien Montagne will look at writing out a good description for a project - so we can do a call for a developer.
  • Alternative: get 3DMax or Maya to read/write .blend files! This can be using Bullet’s MIT licensed .blend read/write module.

Expanding the use of the .blend file format sounds like a neat idea, there would be no better method of I/O exchange with Blender than with its own format.

However, you’re going to have to find a Max and Maya who would have the knowledge to write a plugin that does it, as I highly doubt Autodesk itself will jump onboard.

What about the UE4 engine reading .blend files through a plugin or something, has that ever been mentioned as a possibility?

Is “donation” be the right term as the donation is bound to particular conditions ?
Sorry probeably it’s just about my bad english…

@^^artin, We have been working to better support game artists anyway, many of the improvements for one game engine apply to another too (so improvements for Epic probably help for Unity3d … etc).

You have a point that a donation with some strings-attached seems like it could be problematic, but in practice this is just helping fund an area we already wanted to focus more on.

FBX import and export from Blender would be the best option.

It could be that that Epic wants Blender to be able to handle FBX as they are currently hoping to get the gaming community to help build the new version of Unreal Tournament. If it is for this reason, then having a handy-dandy $3,000 copy of Max or Maya around is not going to be a realistic option for most home users who want to contribute. Also, UDK isn’t the only game system that uses the format. Much better all around if we have a stable, reliable import/export function directly within Blender. For 10K, we should be able to find someone to do this!