Epic Pumpkin (CGC Contest)

Did you render wit GPU? I noticed that volume stuff renders a lot better on CPU after a certain threshold. GPU and CPU look pretty much the same up to 1024 or so samples but after that GPU doesn´t really improve that much anymore whereas CPU does.

Awesome! Good job!

This 3D work is awesome and stuning! Wow! Level of detail is great, pumpkin monster just rock, and these kids are like from 80’s movies :slight_smile: Let’s say it again - WOW! :slight_smile: Congratulations!

Thank you :slight_smile:

@Albertofx Didn’t manage to pull of a wire, there’s just too many small parts and I didn’t retopo everything, so it looks
messy and black at best :smiley: I added a clay in the op though.

@Lumpengnom Yeah I rendered on GPU, tried CPU as well but it took too long. But it’s good to know that volumes are
handled better by CPU. I didn’t know that yet.

Epic Pumpkin - says it all! This is one scary piece of veg! love the sense of scale and movement. Awesome!

Wow! Very nice!

Best … Pumpkin … Ever !!

Glad you guys like it :slight_smile:

I have a question though: I had big trouble with masking out the volume in the scene. I basically needed to render the front layer on its own, but with all the influencing light from the other layers and of course the volume.
Problem is, the volume in the background gets rendered anyway and takes up a lot of rendering time. The way I understand masking, this should not be visible at all oO I’ve attached an image to clarify what I mean.

Does anybody know how to effectively mask a volume?

Only way I found so far is by masking it later in post. It really troubles me because I want to render this in poster-size but the way it is now, that will take forever.

Thanks!

Edit: I know about render farms for Blender, been looking into the subject for a while now. I’d like to render it on my PC though because of the cost.

Attachments

I had the same problem you’re describing in my entry, hope someone tell us how to avoid this

Very nice indeed:-))

This is awesome! Nice work! The detail in the kid’s bunny costume is fantastic - very realistic. I love how the furry, cute costume contrasts with the gravity of the scene. Wonderful story-telling.

Beautiful work. A creative concept and layout, and well-executed. Cheers :slight_smile:

Congratulations on 1st place in the CG Cookie Halloween competition!

Thank you!

Wonderful concept and execution.

It’s the rancor monster from Return of the Jedi.

Steve S

Awsome work! I wonder if that girl had the time to run away! Gratz for the result in the competition :slight_smile:

Hi,
this is very very v.v. great work,awesome:rolleyes: you make very good example of mind, congracs man.
by the way, please let me know about your computer specs, which pc-specs you use.
and how much VERTICS are in this rendered picture.
i am appriciate if you ccan reply as soon as possible.

Thank you.:wink:

Wow! Everything so gorgeous and detailed! No flaws, completely perfect! Better than what you see from Pixar stills :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your feedback :slight_smile:

@Episodio I also wondered what would happen next. She probably would have gotten her bag, opend it up in front of the
monster and screamed: “TRICK OR TREAT!”. And maybe she’d have gotten away with it :smiley:

@suaman PC-Specs: i7 860, gtx660 2gb, 8gb RAM. Kind of an old machine but it still does the job. About the vertex-count:
raw models are around 1 million faces. But with all the particle systems enabled, there’s a lot more going on. Probably
a few millions in total.

Fantastic.