"Eraser lines" in my freestyle render...help!

So I finally have a project where Freestyle is undoubtedly the right tool to use. I’m not doing anything super fancy, I just want to build a scene, then get what amounts to a black-on-white pen+ink rendition. So far, so good, except for one issue I can’t seem to understand.

The scene I’m working on now is a wall in a barracks/dorm, just a wall with a row of lockers and bunk beds along it. Nothing fancy, however when I render, there’s a line ‘erasing’ through my render. After looking around a bit, I’ve found that it’s the far edge of the floor plane. If I extend that edge out of the frame, the render looks great, but otherwise, wherever that edge is will break any line in the render that’s crossing it. From all I can tell rendering from different angles and things, that’s the only object that’s causing this, and it’s just a simple, unmodified plane. Is there possibly some setting for Freestyle, or some other rendering setting, that would clear this up? Does anybody even have any idea what I’m talking about?

Honestly this isn’t that much of an impact on my project. I can completely live with that or extend the plane out so as to not have it do this, but I’d really like to know the what and why here, as that would most likely not only allow me to fix the problem now, but prevent it in the future when I’m doing my other scenes.

If anybody else has experienced this and/or knows what the cause is, I’d love to hear about it! Thanks for your time.

I’d wager it has something to do with calculating what is in front of what. Since the ground plane is at all depths in the scene, it is both in front of and behind everything in different places. try splitting the floor plane into different meshes, see if that helps!

Hm, that didn’t solve the problem, Sterling…in fact what I ended up with was MORE eraser lines! Going the other direction! After seeing what that did, I grabbed all my floor planes and moved them down out of the way and replaced them with a big cube. No more lines. Other things I tried before putting the cube in were moving the scene up (away from 0 Z) to see if it was something to do with it being at 0 and using a subdivided plane, neither of which had any effect for me.

Even though my problem is solved at this point, I still have no idea what causes it in the first place, which is kind of a bummer, but rather than get bogged down trying to figure out what technical wizardry is going on that I don’t understand, I’m gonna get back to blendering and see if I can get another scene knocked out today. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, Sterling. It sounded super-plausible to me, at least.