"Eroding" effect?

I’d like to have a simple “wind erosion” effect on a sand landscape. Nothing fancy, just the landscape slowly lowering. But I’d prefer it not all drop evenly, I’d like some variation in the speed of the erosion.

How would one approach this effect?

Thanks.

A simple shapekey or displacement, maybe?

Hmmmm…is there anything like …shoot, can’t remember the (LW) name. Basically, a null that repels vertices?

A slowly descending ‘blanket’ of these might give the effect I want.

I’m almost surely over-thinking this.
++++++
In LW I’d use morphs and proximity nodes to UNmorph the landscape to it’s eroded state, but I’m a year away from knowing anything about nodes in Blender.

Many ways to do this. It depends on your needs. You can do a simple shapekey that moves everything evenly and then controll that shapekey with a vertexgroup that you weightpaint to make a more random feel to it.

This one I did with the warp modifier. Is it something like this you’re after?

2 Likes

Daahyam, dood, how did you know I wanted a particle effect too??? ( R U stalking me?? :wink: )

That seems like EXACTLY :face_with_raised_eyebrow: what I’m looking for.

–So, Warp Modifier, ehhh? Any pitfalls I should watch out for before stumbling around like a sorry noob?

SERIOUS thanks, man. :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Of course I’m stalking you, as I do with all old Lightwavers. :rofl:
Kidding aside, I think we just learn differently. You learn by asking a lot of questions and I learn by solving others problems. :grinning:

I don’t think you should use the warp modifier, I just played with it.
I think the displacement modifier and a weight painted vertex group should be fine. Then you can use the same vertex group for particle density, that way you get more particles in the same place as where the highest amount of displacement are.

1 Like

Here’s a blend file to play with using displacement and procedural textures.

erosion_displacement.blend (1.1 MB)

1 Like

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! :bowing_man: :bowing_man: :bowing_man:

Between you and Stan_Pancakes maybe, someday, I’ll be able to fly a logo or two. :sob: :sob: :sob:

:+1:

++++++++++++
I’ve been pondering why I’m having SO much trouble w/learning Blender, as I don’t remember LW being so hard to internalize. But I’ve also been selling some old LW tapes, and I watched one the other day (Ron Thornton!), and realized things were QUITE a bit simpler, back in the day. :cry: