Error: Too Many Vertices..... help!

I’m sure this is an old problem but I’ve not had much luck finding a thread about it on here and it doesn’t seem to be covered in the FAQs.

I have imported a DXF mesh, big but not absurdly huge. I’ve saved it as a .blend file. I go to EditMode to edit it, but when I try to leave EditMode I get a message saying “Error: Too Many Vertices”, and the only thing left to do is to exit Blender.

I’d be surprised if it were a memory issue as I have 2 gigs of RAM!

Is there a setting somewhere I can increase to allow me to edit high-res meshes?

Cheers

Martin

hi!

you can try to separate your mesh into parts using the "p"key
>>If your mesh exceeds 65000 vertices then you will have a “too many vertices” error.

theres no way to increase it. i think its 64,000 vertices or something. try selecting all vertices (a-key), invoke the specials menu (w-key), and then pick remove doubles.

If you seperate your mesh with ‘p’, and then reduce the number of faces in each mesh (use ‘decimator’ on the edit tab), and then join the meshes together again with ctrl+j, then that might work. Alternatively, try not to make a mesh with so many vertices!

another thing to try is using remove doubles

whats this decimator thing? is it on the edit mode w menu?

it’s in the edit button (F9). it is the purople slider with apply and cancel under it.

d52477001

thanks for repeating what i said and taking all the credit.

thanks for repeating what i said and taking all the credit.[/quote]
I didn’t see you post it there

People on this forum often repeat each other, what’s wrong with this time in particular?

also, what’s this “credit” you’re referring to?

thanks for repeating what i said and taking all the credit.[/quote]
%|
We’re here to help each other, not bitch about who gave the answer first…

Martin