Wow! Very impressive. How did you achieve this “painterly Photoshop” - look? It looks like something Blender would not really be able to achieve. Could you share some insights? I am intrigued <3
Awesome ! Nice framing, nice colors nice style !
I’m also quite curious about how your scenes looks like ! And I’m looking forward new stuff from you !
Wow… really liking the style. Very cool ilustratorly take on low-poly that I super like - and also very nice to see your makings of - particularly the rotation of the scene on https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z52BqN
Now I want to see it animated!
Technically, it’s oh so very simple really. I’ll try to take some screenshots which may shed some light - but in short:
- The real trick is focusing on shapes, silhouettes, depth, and composition, not the details. Not even the lighting, as this is bit limited (due to the way shaders are built)
- Characters and hero props are reaalllyyy decimated in zbrush
- The textures are very simple flat colors, maybe subtle gradients
- The Voronoi texture. This is magic, and works great to add the polygonal/angular detail that stays sharp. Road surface, etc.
- There’s a bit tricky shader based on Shader to RGB node for this hard shading
- There’s some Volumetric Fog in there
- There’s a million transparent planes, with gradient multiplied by Voronoi again, to create atmosphere. Some Alpha blended, some Additive
- The models are often faked, stretched, exagerrated to get the dynamic feel without resorting to motionblur. I mean, I could, but I don’t think the ‘softness’ of real motionblur fits the style.
I like the ‘Painterly Photoshop’ term you used - that’s how it feels to work on those. That’s EEVEE, I can see it as it will finally look, and just move things around, work with silhouettes by moving those transparencies - it’s how I would work in 2d/photoshop during the comp/post phase. Now I’m doing it in 3d and it’s awesome.
Those animated GIFs are just an afterthought at the moment - but since they are so easy and quick to do (thanks EEVEE), why not? To be honest, I’m bit surprised this works so well with camera moves…
I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!
NO ŻEŚ STARY ZAMIÓTŁ… WOW, SZCZĘKA NA PODŁODZE. TO NA PEWNO EEVEE?
a może by tak do tego używać grease pencil’a? efekty z nim są super.
Thanks @bartv! Thats awesome
@KRUChY : Thanks. It is eevee. Shader to rgb node is eevee only, and that’s what I use for hard shading. Also, there is some grease pencil in there, but not much. Splatters, motion lines, etc.
I’m honestly impressed! Bravo!
that looks fantastic
This is excellent. Can you tell us more about how you set up all the planes?
Very nice composition and use of color. You should do a tutorial series and sell it in Gumroad.
I’d buy it in a minute!
damn those look epic, the stills are really cool, but the videos where the 3-dimentionness becomes visible are on another level
Whoa, great stuff!!!
I’ve never “liked” so many posts before!
This smells so much like what Shadowrun should have looked like in my imagination. Thank you for taking the helm so powerfully on such a visual concept. Your gif presentations are like pop-up book excitement!
Having Childhood Speed racer flashbacks. Love the colors too.
Holy shot!!! Where is the full animation… what a COOL style man, love it!
I love those small anims on your artstation. Sort of GIF to the next level. Really stunning style.