Essential Blender Text Editor Add-ons

Nice to see your optimizations, however using the clipboard is not endorsed: https://developer.blender.org/D5097#116434

I previously tried to get addon refresh and script reload exposed in the Text Editor but the maintainer does not want to it.

After spending all this time on Text Editor improvements, I guess I can finally conclude, that trying to improve the Text Editor with anything else than add-ons is a waste of time:

3 Likes

@tin2tin where is the thread in the blender developers?
I would like to write my opinion, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

If only scripting in blender was like this…

1 Like

ok you don’t answer. it was the first time I was using github and especially with another account. I work for my own so.

If you dont use the replying button under there messages… u ll have less chance that they notice it…
And also…perhaps they have problems actually that makes them unreachable?

I’m sorry, I’m buried in trying to learn C, in order to submit patches to improve the VSE, which is my main area of interest. Anyhow, you’re free to take it in any direction you want.

ok sry I just felt ignored. good to learn C. it’s a lot a time I do agree.

2 Likes

ok so I did this. this is quick way, to install, do modifications, on 1 file addons, from text editor

I’m studying multi files addons from now to find some similar systems
3 Likes

never give up
I tried codestyle cool
for info in pycharm Ctrl+shift+Alt+L to format the style automatically

https://developer.blender.org/T78228

2 Likes

Thank you very much for creating this!
Do you think it’s possible to have IN - OUT STR (subtitle code timing) to be read from a text file inside blender to be displayed in the viewport similar to what happens when TEXT is displayed from the native screen capture keys addon in Blender?

Currently I am using MARKERS to know in the timeline, when the next change in text will happen. But I was wondering if this is something to possible make as a new plugin?
I can detail more if you let me know if this is something you may be able to do, please?
Thanks!

If you’re after an add-on to convert subtitles to overlay text in the 3d view, you should consult the list of VSE add-ons(the screenwriter add-on converts dialogue formatted text to VSE subtitles): Video Sequence Editor - News & Add-ons or do a search on GitHub.

1 Like

Yes I saw it. I know VSE is covering that pretty neatly. Unfortunately, I work with Grease Pencil and there is no way to adjust the duration of the animation and the text dynamically in the same context except for the 3d viewport.

I was encouraged to post this here. I was going to wait until *insert more, better, bigger features*, but the core functionality is working, and it’s useful, so here goes:

It’s basically an automation of the tedious task of manually reloading the addon through User Preferences.
preview

3 Likes

Thank you @Karmaral I don’t know how I could live without your add-on before. :slight_smile:

Hey that’s great! I’ll check it as soon as I can, we can do a merge if you want :slight_smile:

After some time getting used to it, I started feeling it’d be even lazier if it just auto reloaded when I’d save the file. Is that what your addon does?

EDIT: I like what you patched, it makes sense. I wouldn’t have it in the blender logo menu though. Having the options in the Text menu is a bit redundant as is. I think with it being there is enough. As for the quick-favourites, you don’t need menus, you can right-click the operator button in the panel and it works just the same.

I also spotted a wrong operator call in my version, it seems I forgot to change the name when I was removing it from the other bundle.

Anyways, if you don’t mind, we can merge the changes and I’d like to prettify it a bit more. I’m really nitpicky with final polishing.

I’m glad it’s useful. The peak that lead to this was when I started doing my reloading by quickly pressing enter on the buttons so I would click less and do it faster :laughing: I was just too committed at that point, lol

1 Like

Fantastic thread! Thanks for putting this collection together, there are some gems here I’ve been dreaming about since forever.

A tip for people installing Codestyle:
You can skip part of the Github instructions because upon enabling this add-on it’ll try to install the pycodestyle package anyway. It won’t check if pip is upgraded though, so you may sneak a line in the code to do this beforehand.

Another catch is that for some reason in my PC pycodestyle was being installed in a path Blender doesn’t look at (Roaming\(...)\Scripts), so I kept get warnings the module wasn’t installed. Either point the script the right way, add the path to the path list or copy the folder to Blender’s python folder to fix it.

1 Like

Can you submit a patch?