Etched Glass

Greetings!!

How would achieve the look of an etched logo/image on a glass material in Cycles?

Example:

I imagine the easiest way might be to use nodes
You would need to create the mesh of the glass object - without the etched design
Create a greyscale image of your design with (Black = no etching, white = deep etching and shades of grey in between for slight etching)
UV map the image onto the object
For the material:
Create two glass shaders (one clear and one not - I think you could use roughness to do this)
Then plug them both into a muti-shader node and use the uvmapped image as a stencil in the Factor slot to use one or the other glass shader.
You could also use the stencil to bump map the mesh

i would also some noise texture to make the etched white part
so that it looks more like a real etched glass

show us what you get

salutations

I was working on something similar recently, but the suggestions above basically cover it. ie: Model your glass, get an image, use mix shader with inputs from the alpha channels, etc. To get a “3d”, you can also send a black and white converted (shown in file) socket to the displacement, although in the example file, it doesn’t show a very good result since it is mostly solid colors instead of smooth gradients, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps and good luck! Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

etched glass.blend (137 KB)

Edit: You will need to unpack the textures, resave (or reload texture) and reload the file (unless you manually reopened the texture). It’s a known cycles issue that cycles doesn’t work with packed textures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]211354[/ATTACH]

Not sure it worked that well but here’s what I did:
I created an image [ATTACH=CONFIG]211353[/ATTACH]

UV mapped it my mesh:[ATTACH=CONFIG]211352[/ATTACH]

Used the image (Converted to black and white and then inverted) to act as the factor in a mutitexture shader
Plugged 2 glass textures in, one with a roughness set to 1
I also used the image to displace the texture

A higher resolution image would have worked better and the colour of the etched glass is very dependent on the environment.

Sorry, but I can’t see the images, I think you uploaded them wrong perhaps? The links are invalid according to the forum software.

I created an image
UV mapped it my mesh
Used the image (Converted to black and white and then inverted) to act as the factor in a mutitexture shader
Plugged 2 glass textures in, one with a roughness set to 1
I also used the image to displace the texture

A higher resolution image would have worked better and the colour of the etched glass is very dependent on the environment.

Attachments

Not too bad, but ya you will definetly want a higher res texture. The one in my example was only part of a 1024x1024. In a realy world case you would probably want a nice high quality 2048x2048 or higher or something if you need the detail. I think that render would make a great profile pic :slight_smile:

Good luck, and happy blending!

can you try to re upload the file wiht pack image
seems tit did not work well!

size of pic i guess depends on waht size you want to render it or how close the shot is done!

thanks

You want me to re-upload my file, or him upload his? My file is fine if you unpack the files, save the file (so it uses the unpacked paths), then reload it.

sorry the one from whowell

mid you as i said it woudl look better if the stain part would use a noise added
to give it a more rough surface and probably also use a transparent node mat

thanks

Thanks for these responses!!

I will get on this later today and see what I can come up with. Excited!