everything has become staggery and slow

I have my mesh and my armature. I parented them together and also added a armature modifier(i am kind of clueless about how to combine them to weight paint). It worked but there is a problem, everything is very slow and laggy. It takes a couple seconds for me to just click on a bone. Has anyone every experienced this problem or know how to fix it?

Anyone?plz?

I parented them together and also added a armature modifier

Just either use the parenting then “make real” the virtual modifier the parenting produces in your modifier stack or just add the armature modifier by itself … The way you did it your now have 2 armature modifiers on your mesh from a single armature . Just delete one of them and hopefully the lagging will stop …

… Try the “Bone Heat” option if you go the parenting route … or select all your bones in Pose Mode, then shift-select your mesh and go into Weight Paint and hit W->Apply Bone Heat Weights to Vertex Groups …

I deleted the parenting and vise versa but the problem still remains. I am not sure what the problem could be…

You might have major cyclic dependencies in your armature … to check this select your armature and tab into and out of Edit Mode, and then check the console for messages about the dependencies …

… If this isn’t the cause, I’m not sure what it might be (I assume you do not have this problem with other blends) … If possible post a blend …

Ya, i just remembered a long time ago i was also having problems with my armature. I would post a blend but i do not know how to:p.

Just “Go Advanced” and upload to the forum (if it is of reasonable size - otherwise sign up at http://uploader.polorix.net/ and post a link here) .

I don’t know about the armature, but you can attach a blend in the Advanced Reply by clicking the paperclip.

I think i have it. Thanks, i thought i was much harder :P. I just want to let you guys know that the model is not that great because this is one of my first human attempts. The bones are pretty straight forward. So it would be nice if you guys could try and weight paint the rig and just let me know if you guys have problems too.

Attachments

humanbodylegstrialbones.blend (265 KB)

It’s not lagging on my computer … much … I don’t know what the specs are on your’s but to get Blender to be more responsive turn down the subsurf level to 1 instead of 3 or disable it in the 3D view while posing . You rarely need more then the default rendering level 2, and the additional geometry can slowdown the responsiveness in Blender . If you want it to look smoother with just subsurf level 1 just hit Set Smooth in the Links and Materials panel in Object Mode .

As for skinning the mesh to the armature just using the Bone Heat option will do a pretty decent job (parent the mesh to the armature and just select the Bone Heat option in the parenting process) .

Ahh ya it works now. I feel stupid, all i had to do was set subsurf to 1 and i am fine :). I have a question though, when i parented armature to the mesh and clicked bone heat. Does that replace weight painting or do i still need too? Also, when i made my bones i used X axis mirror so that i dont have to do everything twice. I am not sure if that is what caused the problem but if i rotate one part of the arm down it will rotate the other arm up… Why is that?

when i parented armature to the mesh and clicked bone heat. Does that replace weight painting or do i still need too?

No the bone heat option will weight your mesh for you automatically . You can always tweak it some more in Weight Paint if you need to .

Also, when i made my bones i used X axis mirror so that i dont have to do everything twice. I am not sure if that is what caused the problem but if i rotate one part of the arm down it will rotate the other arm up… Why is that?

You still have the Mirror modifier unapplied to your mesh . You need to apply it before you parent the armature to the mesh, otherwise the other side of the mesh (which is not there) will mirror the transformation you do on the side that is really there …