Existence

What do you believe is existence?

Everything external to consciousness.

I’m interpreting your response to mean everything that is a thing exists, ergo something exists and nothing does not exist.

So there is the question, why does something exist?

P.S. Say there is a universe, or even a multi-verse. What is outside of that, what is all this ‘something’ floating around in? Is it nothing, something exists either within nothingness or or nothing exists outside of somethingness. If something exists in nothing then does nothing too exist?

Regardless the overall question stands, why does something exist, why does anything exist?

Bill Murray.

This universe has a certain vibration that you have.That all other universes do not have.Even it’s light is of different vibration.The nothing you speak of is universes of different vibrations than our own universe.

What is it that is vibrating and why does it exist?

Strings like in string theory.

And why do those strings exist?

They could be random thoughts of a consciousness made out of energy.If you were all but energy and all there was was you all you could do is think.I mean energy like gravity.

Still there is the question, why does that energy exist? Regardless of what we are, whatever it is, why does it exist?

I don’t know.

Am I really reading two humans speaking to each other or two chatbots that have each hijacked a forum account?

The discussion just seems random right now (to the point of failing the Turing test).

I always thought I was human.The last time I looked I was.If I was a chatbot could I use blender?

To the best of anyones knowledge there really is no reason at all as to why something exists. The fact that anything exists at all is, quite frankly, absurd. What exists here might just as well have been nothing, the fact that it’s something is nothing short of magical.

You can say a ball bounces off the floor and there’s nothing magical about it because we know why the ball bounces, the laws of physics. However; we do not know why the laws of physics exist therefore anything we believe we understand is actually entirely and completely misunderstood. The laws of physics cause a ball to bounce, but we do not know how the laws of physics came to be and therefore do not know why a ball bounces.

@Ace Dragon: Plato suggested that true belief can be raised to the level of knowledge if it is bound with an account as to the question of “why” the object of the true belief is so.

Plato’s belief that knowledge can be had by explaining why someone believes what they do has been superceded by the scientific method. Plato’s paradigm works for mathematics, but not for physical phenomenon, except in a very primitive way. It’s possible, by cherry picking the examples, to show that a belief backed up by an explanation of ‘why’ is so intuitively obvious that it just seems ‘right’. But it doesn’t work in all cases, or even many cases, and quite often things that are intuitively obvious, like the idea that heavy things fall faster than light things, are wrong. Plato was a philosopher, not a scientist, nor even a natural historian, like Aristotle.

Look at this youtube video. QUANTUM HOLOGRAM BRAIN WAVES

@Orinoco: I personally disagree with your assessment in regards to using why as a means to delve deeper into the nuts and bolts of an idea. Asking why is simply a means to guide one through the finer details of something. The scientific method does not take this into account not because it’s flawed in it’s nature, but because the scientific method simply cannot answer the question, at least not for a very long time if at all.

It’s not a question of if it’s a good way to do things or a bad way to do things. We simply have no other choice, but to observe what we see and try to define it in terms of what we’ve seen. In other words on the inside looking out rather than on the outside looking in. We can be on the outside of an atom and look into it, but we cannot be on the outside of the universe and look into it so we’re stuck trying to define it from the inside out.

@Lostscience: I had originally posted this thread because there are a great deal of theories around the world on the subject of existence and I thought it might be interesting to see what different responses would be posted here.

To the best of my knowledge no one can answer the question why to its conclusion, if there even is one. It is because of this that any one of those theories floating around out there could very well be correct, even if incomplete. Also because we cannot answer the question we are not likely to know for sure which of those theories is correct for a very long time, if ever.

Godel pretty conclusively proved you can’t answer meta questions about a system from within that system. If mathematics has any connection to reality, and many people think it does, then you might just be chasing a chimera with your ‘why’ questions. Are you sure you aren’t using ‘why’ as a proxy for ‘how does that work’?

More of a “why does it work” rather than “how does it work.” Obviously you can look at a bicycle with a discerning eye and figure out how it works, but why does it work is a different question entirely.

You can see that the chain rotates a rear sprocket connected to a wheel, but how does the chain rotate the sprocket? Well I’m not about to get into great detail here except to say that the current state of science has outlined, in great detail, what observations have shown us appears to be happening and collectively we call the observed rules that govern the operation of such things the laws of physics.

That’s great, but why are the laws of physics the laws of physics? We’ve observed these laws and rather taken them as a given, but why do these laws exist? From where do these laws originate? If we cannot say why or how the laws of physics exist then we cannot say why or how something the laws of physics governs should act. We can certainly believe in something, but ultimately no one knows anything.

P.S. The best I can tell there is, indeed, something here, existence, and I could even be wrong about that. Nonetheless why is there something here? Why is there an existence, why not just nothing? I don’t think it matters that there would be nothing around to observe that there is nothing, there would just be nothing. However there appears to be some things and even these things called people that can apparently observe that there are things, honestly I see no reason as to why that should be the case. There appears to be no reason at all as to why there should be an existence, but nonetheless there is an existence.

Proof of nothing.
(M-theory)