Experimental Colored Wireframe

@1D_Inc
have you test the wireframe overlay from Nicholas bishop this build from paleajed have this path but it work with sub-d surface in edit mode

Wow, thatā€™s interesting, thank you! ^^
But I for a long time wonder why there is no way to make Blender to draw gentle mainwires, even if it have this engine by default =)

Any place to download v2.71 ?

Chatted with VenomGFX yesterday and we agreed to test a slightly different approach to the one Iā€™ve been working on:

See patch and screenshot: https://developer.blender.org/D458#13273

Yeah ok but isnt the problem still that Ton doesnt like this solution/approach? Really I dont think he understands yet why people want this and a particular way although it is similar to how its done in other software. I think he is afraid of something that is not really an issue - that if this small concession for technical users is allowed blender will cease to be useful for making movies or the code will be somehow debased. I dont think these beliefs stand up to scrutiny. There is nothing radical or alien about this capability in a graphics sense and it is very useful. The sky will not fall although part of the ceiling might. Autodesk clearly understand coloured wireframes and so should Ton. This is the subtle message for him to take away from this years BC.

Screenshot looks perfect.

Just compiled the latest with the new wireframe patch, looks and works great so far, thanks! I love that I can keep my background color.

Screenshot looks really nice, how you choose to activate? Display panel?

Yeah, itā€™s in object properties, display panel, new wireframe icon next to object color. Also n-panel, shading, new color wire option to toggle on/off globally.

Updated info https://developer.blender.org/D458#13273

• Patch now works in solid mode (nice with wire-display, screenshot included)
  • Added small usage section.

Regarding disagreements, the point isnā€™t about who-is-right, its about testing in the studio to see what actually works best for artists ā€” using their feedback to help decide.

Screenshots looking good. Then again, thought that with the last time around. Letā€™s hope itā€™s not torpedoed by Tonā€™s disapproval. Again :slight_smile:

As to the video, not much new there. Not trying to stir the pot, but Ton simply re-iterated the same position presented to us before - he wants one thing (that has yet to eventuate in a decade since conception), users are willing to accept a simpler level of functionality they can use now (which is already implemented as a working patch!), and weā€™re still waiting for anything in trunk addressing the issue. I remain skeptical but cautiously hopeful given Campbellā€™s brief voice of independence in the clip :slight_smile:

Awesome. I was just thinking, it would be nice if it worked also for wire-display in solid mode, and bam, there it is! :slight_smile:

Guys, letā€™s please just discuss the patch and how it works, without distracting tangents and meta discussions which donā€™t help Campbell.

Thanks @Sanne @ideasman42, now itā€™s clear, canā€™t wait to try it. Hope it gets ā€œmasteredā€ soon

Solid mode looks good. These colors are used in the per object bounding box/wire display mode as well, right?

Regardless of what the default eventually is, I would like to be able to set an objectā€™s wire color manually, irrespective of themes, rules, etc. I tend to look at it the same way as object names. I can set object names to anything I want, the same should be allowed with wire colors. Both are for scene organization. I am fine with theme options that have value and saturation adjustment for unselected and selected, similar to what is in those screenshots.

With regard to the video, what I canā€™t fathom is any reason why both theme and custom canā€™t be an option on the objects.

ā€” Wire Colors: (x)Custom | ( )Theme Palette

Hear, hearā€¦

Thanks ideasman those mango-quadbot screen grabs look great

Is something like this a plausible solution?

you set up the wired color assign id and save it as your startup blend. (strg+u)

when someone sends you a file you can select wired colors Id import which activates the ids - the connection to which mesh has which id.

when you trust the source, you click ā€œtrusted sourceā€ since you can trust the other person of their scripts and colouring taste.

• without assigning ids, it stays black and when you change it, you can easily learn what it does when you look at the viewport.

to quickly assign stuff; a pie would be opened, which has the number of assigned Id numbers and the current set colors.
This would mean there must be some logic inlcuded in how Blender finds out that the meshes have assigned Wired color Ids.
since i have seen that Pies can also have sliders and stuff in it ā€œinteractivityā€ you could also use the pie to
quickly modify the active ID colors to your taste.

Dear ideasman42, since this patch has no chance of ever going into trunk, whats the point in keeping working on it?

Considering his development record, he is more than capable of determining if a project is a dead-end (and as such stop working on it).

Heā€™s not dumb by any means, we have heard before that Ton might be open to a colored wireframe implementation if itā€™s done right (much like the WIP patch doing the same thing with sticky keys).

Campbell brought this forward and can continue if he wants - and his implementation so far is very useful.