[Experimental Doc Idea] App Wars Rosetta Stone Discussion

Preface

You’re tired of it. I’m tired of it. Always battling which app is “better”. Cherry picking a single feature out of the vast sea of features that comprise a “3D Application” and using that to try and explain why to use app X or Y. A lot of the oldbies want to tear their hair out and scream “Just pick one already, you can do the same in any of them!”

Well, kind of true. A lot of people use a lot of different applications to ease workflow that would have been harder if they had done it all in one place. I wouldn’t use Blender for NURBS, and I wouldn’t use Wings for animation. Sometimes that one particular cherry-picked feature is -the- reason you switch over to that app.

Really, the big problem is, you just don’t know until you get there. Countless times I’ve traveled down a certain path in one application only to find that once I got into some of its more obscure recesses for something special purpose, I had to backtrack and go somewhere else. If you were really to give every application a decent run through, you’d have spent countless hours doing repetitive searching for tutorials- or buying them, reading documentation until you fall asleep.

The Idea

Most professionals, and a good amount of newbies, already have an idea of what they want to do, when they’re out to learn another package. Packages share common tools, but differ slightly one way or another depending on the task they’re geared towards.

What I suggest is to create a sort of “Rosetta Stone” of common operations across programs, and possibly define a speed metric based on out-of-the-box functionality. Macros don’t count, once you get to macros, it’s a whole other ballgame. Macro ability however would be good to discuss.

Suggested Initial Topics:
Modeling

• Box Modeling
  • Extrusion Modeling
  • Sculpting
  • Retopology
  • Application Specific
    Rigging
  • Bones
  • Prefabs
  • Constraints
  • Drivers
  • Application Specific
    Animation
  • Curves
  • Blending
  • Layers
  • Motion Capture
    Texturing
  • Shader preview
  • UVmapping
  • 3D Painting on model
    Game Pipeline
  • Currently working export formats
  • Current engines supported

I have to run out real quick, but I’ll elaborate on this post more when I get back. Hope to get some good feedback, good idea / bad idea, suggestions, speed metric ideas, etc.