Expert qustions

(Abracsis) #1
  1. I set up lights around my model and allow dynamic lighting. How can i applie the effect of this to the vertex colours so that i can make the model not react to dynamic lighting and i can remove the lights.

2. calli once told me only 8 lights could be used in the game engine on top of each other. Does this mean each face will only calculate eight light sources? has this figure gone up, is there still a limit?

3. With a normal Lamp how can you restrict the distance to which it effects faces? so you can make lamps effect a small area. (distance doesn’t effect it)

4. Does the Hemi lamp work as it should in the game engine?

5. Animated textures… If i have a grid of 16 pictures, which order does it read the them in.

6. Under the mist button in the world buttons there is Quad, Lin and Inv Quad. These don’t appear to effect the fall off of the mist.

7. There’s no way to make the game rendered display wobble, like the scene is happening under water, like in final fantasy 10.

8. There’s no way to fake a gasius mass in blender is there.

9. How similar is python to Java?

Thanx
-Luke

(OTO) #2

Hello Abracsis,
I’m not really an exprt but i’ll try to answer those “few” questions :slight_smile:

1-2- i use that technique a lot, very nice effects
The official name is “vertex share” i guess.
So, add lamps (8 by layer, OpenGl limitation), enter potato mode, Alt-Z,
select your object do V key , then W, n Share Vertex Col, and V again.
Now you can delete your lamps, but in Game mode the lightning “work” remains.
3- Normally Lamps are affected by distance, Use Dist Quad 1 2
4-Hemi Lamps don’t work in GB
5- Heu…1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 and so on i guess. Put 16 in the little button
6- They don’t work in the game engine…i guess
7- wooble??? Final Fantasy???
8-9 ‘’’’’’’’’’’
Bye
António

(wiensta) #3
  1. I set up lights around my model and allow dynamic lighting. How can i applie the effect of this to the vertex colours so that i can make the model not react to dynamic lighting and i can remove the lights.

you cant really, the only way around this is to use the vertex paint tool.

1. calli once told me only 8 lights could be used in the game engine on top of each other. Does this mean each face will only calculate eight light sources? has this figure gone up, is there still a limit?

no its still only 8, even iff they are far from eachother

1. With a normal Lamp how can you restrict the distance to which it effects faces? so you can make lamps effect a small area. (distance doesn’t effect it)

just adjust the lamp strength in the lampbottons. you can also use spotlights for circular areas of influence

1. Does the Hemi lamp work as it should in the game engine?

yes, i believe so. why dont you test this??

1. Animated textures… If i have a grid of 16 pictures, which order does it read the them in.

top left to top right, then each succesive line, the ssame way as you read.

1. Under the mist button in the world buttons there is Quad, Lin and Inv Quad. These don’t appear to effect the fall off of the mist.

these affect the rendering of the mist. quad is the highest quality.

1. There’s no way to make the game rendered display wobble, like the scene is happening under water, like in final fantasy 10.

i believe you can do this in 2.25, well i know you can at least distort the dislay, and animate that. dunno about rippling tho.

1. There’s no way to fake a gasius mass in blender is there.

no. but you can add a few halos, itll give the same effect

1. How similar is python to Java?

its a programming language. thats about all.
[/b]

(wiseman303) #4
  1. Set up your lights. Select your object and go to edit buttons. Press the ‘make’ button beside where it says vert color.

2. The limit for lights is 8 per layer per scene.

3. I’ve had this problem too, I couldn’t get Quad 1, 2 to work, so I just set the strength down low.

4. I don’t think hemi lamps work in game. Only lamps and spots.

5. frame one is at the BOTTOM LEFT, it reads left-right, bottom-top.

6. These adjust the type of falloff. I’m not sure if they work in game blnder, but it probably wouldn’t make a noticable difference anyway.

7. You could try accessing the openGL code through python, but the python API is pretty limited when it comes to this.

8. Use planes set to ‘halo’ in the paint buttons.

9. They’re both object oriented programing languages.

(saluk) #5

Lizard was able to screw with the rotation matrix on the camera to make a crazy drunk-like effect. Probably could work for underwater type stuff as well. Ask him if he’ll “loan” you a script:)

Python is quite a bit simpler to java, and works well both object oriented or procedural (java is more object oriented). I prefer python myself, just because it seems to be a little more flexible and definately simpler to learn. If you already know java, python should be a piece of cake to learn. They both compile in a similar way, in that with both languages you need to have an “interpreter” (for python) or “virtual machine” in javas case to run the programs, and with both languages you can “compile” it to an intermediate form of code (not quite human readable, but not quite machine code) called bytecode.

They both also have bytecode compilers that will compile certain parts of the code into machine code AS THE CODE IS BEING RUN. I don’t remember what python’s version of it is, but in java it is called just in time, or JIT.

They both have all the typical trappings of object oriented programming: classes, instances, garbage collection, subclassing/inheritance, etc. Java is a little more advanced in this area I believe, although it could just be more complicated. There is nothing in python to make a class or variable “private”.

So they are similar in a lot of ways, and different in a lot of ways:)

Also, the 8 light limit is an opengl limitation, but hopefully you wont ever need 8 lights at a time. (Seems like a bit of overkill for most situations anyway.) Good luck finding ANY game on the market that really uses 8 hardware lights at once - I dont think one exists.

(guru202) #6

I simply use ipo keyframes coupled with invisible collision planes to create dynamic lighting. First, I set keyframes for all of the lighting colors that I want for the character. Then, I create a colision plane that senses the player and triggers the IPO Actuator using the property option. It is very easy and can help cut down resource usage. Using real-time lighting is very cpu intensive. This way, you dont, need to set up any lights and if you translate all of the logic brick connections into python, your game will be really fast!

I can give you an example if you like. Just PM me :slight_smile: Good luck

(wiensta) #7

id like to see a demo file of that too pls. :slight_smile:

(Abracsis) #8

thankyou for all your help.

a few things.

Make seems to work occassionally, and other times screw up the vertex colours. is it neccessary not to have allowed the faces to calculate the dynamic lighting before pressing the Make button? And Share vertex colours seemed to have no effect in Vertex paint mode.

What language is Blender written in?

Do Force IPO’s work properly? I can;t use them in conjunction with Property??? how annoying. Do you have to use dloc apose to Loc. and when i create the IPO, it moves the model. I can’get it to dLoc insert keyframe, on for Loc, so i can’t work out where it is. Unless i use N and that seems a long winded way of doing it. What applications are perfect for force IPO?

(guru202) #9

alright, I will send the file to you via email