Exploding Glass - Blender fluid & physics interaction

After so many fluid simulations and having experimented in the past with bullet physics and the fracture script, I went ahead and created this animation combining all of them:

To be honest, a lot of work went into this animation, mostly due to the constant bugs that made the fluid simulator crash and the unpredictable and buggy behavior of subdivided fluids.

Presently, Blender’s fluid simulator will do for a simple animation with a few obstacles and no particles. But the moment you add several moving obstacles and subdivision particles, you are set for a very tough fight against simulator crashes (not Blender crashes) and odd fluid behavior.

Well, that’s all for now. Happy blending, everyone.

Nice work :smiley:

Thanks. I still think this can be improved, but right now I’m tired of fighting the bugs and need a break from the fluid simulator so I’ll start to work on my modelling. :slight_smile:

That’s intense :slight_smile: you did a really good job as it looks convincing with the movements!

Thank you. I still wish fluid simulator was a bit more stable. If I didn’t have to sweat so much to get this little simulation working right, I would probably be investing my time doing really awesome simulations. I have to give a try to the fluid simulation in the particle system. All tests I’ve seem so far around the net show very believable movement. If only someone worked on a way to turn those particles into a moving mesh like the fluid simulator does.

That looks really good and pretty realistic. Also that logo at the beginning looks awesome, did you make it yourself on Blender as well?

To be honest, a lot of work went into this animation, mostly due to the constant bugs that made the fluid simulator crash and the unpredictable and buggy behavior of subdivided fluids.

Nice work, though my youtube vid was slow… it looked like jello :smiley:

@Animusic: Thanks. Yes, the logo is a fluid simulation I created with Blender 2.61.

@brokenrecord: Thanks… I guess. The scene is rendered in slow motion on purpose. For very detailed fluid simulations like this one I like to create slow motion renders so viewers can enjoy all the eye candy. On the other hand, this also makes mistakes easier to spot, but you can’t have everything in life. :smiley:

haha. Sorry, if this didn’t come across as a compliment. I really liked it, actually. Today I had the opportunity to re-watch and it was much more visible. Didn’t notice this before, but the glass shard were really well done. I’ve considered my jello impression. Could it be that the droplets are comparatively big? But that might just look like that because of the slo-mo

Don’t worry, no offense taken. I was just a bit puzzled and wasn’t really sure which way to interpret your comment. :slight_smile:

As for the jello impression, it may be caused by the slow motion effect, indeed. I’ll probably upload a real time render for you guys to compare sometime this week.

As stated before, here is a new video comparing real time (1:1 speed) and slow motion (1:5 speed). Enjoy.

Great animation! Imho the speed of the real time animation is still a little bit too slow - might be wrong though :slight_smile:

It’s a 2 seconds simulation running in two seconds. Can’t get more real time than that. :smiley: