Explosion

This is an Explosion i made with Blender 2.49

for the volumetric effect i used the technique described in this tutorial:
http://salvador.mata.com.mx/blog/2006/11/volumetricos-tutorial-para-blender/

Where’s the damage?

You at least put a charred image map under the location where the explosion occurs.

The camera movement is good, but I don’t think it’s realistic enough. Try adding a slight bit of jitter up until the very end.

That’s great for something made in blender. Nothing fades that fast though, you need to have the smoke and dust stick around for longer. Also, if you want more realism, you need to have the fire and smoke sort of “mushroom” I call it. Or at least rise.

This was made with FumeFX and 3ds max 9 (hopefully blender can have this sort of functionality one day, which I know it will): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJg8cnsP1k

Thanks for the comments

@Atom:

Where’s the damage?

You at least put a charred image map under the location where the explosion occurs.
Yes, i was too lazy to put some damage effects in this animation, maybe i’ll put a barrel in it with some explosion effekt and burn marks and/or a crater on the ground.
I focused mainly on the fire and smoke Effect.

@Skyler:

The camera movement is good, but I don’t think it’s realistic enough. Try adding a slight bit of jitter up until the very end.
Thanks, yes the movement could use some tweaking, i just made some waveshaped curfes in the IPO window for the camera and the track empty and scaled and edited them until it looked like some kind of shockwave running past the camera

@LazyCoder:

That's great for something made in blender. Nothing fades that fast though, you need to have the smoke and dust stick around for longer. Also, if you want more realism, you need to have the fire and smoke sort of "mushroom" I call it. Or at least rise.

This was made with FumeFX and 3ds max 9 (hopefully blender can have this sort of functionality one day, which I know it will): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJg8cnsP1k
Wow the video looks cool … maybe i’ll try to reproduce it somehow in blender.
On the fade time … yes some comments on my first explosion video (on youtube) said the same … so i made the dust (in this one) fade more slowly … but you have a point there … in reality dust normaly wouldn’t fade that fast … personally i am not that happy with the fade out at the end … i think its to fast … maybe i’ll just don’t render until the dust is gone … because if i’ll do then the video would be really long and kind of boring :slight_smile: … the thing with the mushroom cloud … i would like such an effect but i wasn’t able to achieve it … once i tried to make a a-bomb explosion … but i don’t know how to make the turbulence … because in such a mushroom cloud the particles are sucked through the middle and then move from the top down again following the mushroom shape and evantually get sucked in again … i tried to use the various force fields in blender but never got a satisfactory result.
Does anyone know how to achieve this without smoke simulation?

What you could do is have a circle of vertices off centered and rotating for the ‘cap’ of the mushroom, then have the stem moving slowly upwards. I need to explain that better… lol.

I’ll test that out myself.

EDIT: ok here you go, a nice mushrooming effect. To adjust how fast the donut makes a full rotation, select the empty, and edit the z position constraint (right now it’s at 8 I think). This is the distance the empty needs to cover in the z direction to make a full 360 rotation. Note that the particles should NOT ever be forced down, as this is unrealistic. In a mushroom cloud, the outer particles don’t get sucked down, they simply cool down and do not rise as fast as the hot stuff in the middle. As the hot stuff in the middle moves upwards, it pulls the cool stuff back into the middle, and heats it up again. They outer edges never actually move down, they just move up slower than the middle.

Attachments

BlenderMushroomCloud.blend (216 KB)

@LazyCoder: Thanks, this is a great solution