Export to X3D - Normals

I am experimenting with XNA and wrote a little X3D importer to have models to play with.
Now, I build a few very simple models, created by adding cubes to the scene and scaling and moving them to form something like a table:
4 cubes for the legs, 1 flat cube for the top, the 4 “legs” line up with the edge of the top cube at the edges.

I made triangles of the faces, exported and drew it, which works fine, normals and everything are OK. Now the model as simple as it is has of course some “flaws”:

1. the top faces of the “legs” are not visible and unnecessary
  2. the exported file contains the description of 5 objects even though I use only one simple material for everything.
  3. there are double vertices, e.g. the outter top points of the legs are the same points as the lower bottom vertices of the top cube.

So the first thing I did was removing the top faces of the legs, exported and tested again, works.

Next I selected all the objects and merged them with Ctrl+J, then I removed double vertices (twice, first attempt removed nothing, second removed 4 vertices, I do not know why that is).
Nevertheless, the scene looks OK in Blender and if I display the normals they all point to the outside, but if I export now, the indexes of the triangles seemed to be messed up: only half of the model is visible, the rest is hidden.
After several times reloading and repeating only parts of the steps I figured that the order of indexes becomes messed up with merging the objects.

Is this an issue with the X3D exporter that comes with Blender or is there anything I can do to have the export correct, so have the indexes in the correct order that the normal would point outside? I searched the forum already and found somewhere that I should disable “double sided” everywhere, the only place where I found it (activated) was in the Mesh panel, but deactivation and exporting again had no effect.

Does anybody has an idea how to fix this?

Please be patient with me :wink: These are my first steps with a 3D modeller…

PS: Mhh, I cannot delete this post… too bad… this is my first post and I am already pretty sure that it is in the wrong section of the forum (I did not even realize that Blender has a GameEngine), sorry about that…