Exporting FBX/OBJ file with multiple UV maps--only active UV exports correctly

Hi all,

I wanted to test out multiple UV maps for one object to export as an FBX or OBJ file. I then intended to import this file into 3D coat for painting. The problem is that only the “active UV” is actually written into the file. Thus, out of my three UV maps, only one will actually show in 3D coat–that is, the active UV layer.

How can I correctly export all of my UV layers, not just the active one?

3 ROCKS.BLEND (817 KB)3 ROCKS.BLEND (817 KB)

To my knowledge OBJ is not capable of storing more than one UV map - that’s a limitation of the file format, not of Blender. So, OBJ is “out” for what you want to do. FBX, however, should be perfectly capable of saving more than one UV layout and indeed it seems to work just fine with your file. After exporting your file to FBX I see this e. g. after importing the FBX into MODO…

… and this is the FBX import dialog from 3D Coat - again showing all three UV layouts:

Hey @IkariShinji,

I tried exporting as an FBX and I also had the same prompt as you in 3D coat. However, I still ran into problems.

The problem is that only the active UV actually functions in 3D coat. It is the only one that shows up with colored faces in the UV room and it is the only one with an actual UV map to paint on in the paint room. Also, the bottom cube doesn’t seem to be showing for me.

Try it and tell me if the same thing happens for you.

(see below, only the active UV exported from Blender shows colored faces/an actual UV map in the UV room. Also, my bottom cube is missing)

Quite frankly: I bought 3D Coat years ago and never really got used to it - so, far from being a pro with it…
Yes, I see that behaviour in 3d Coat, too. But what makes you think that Blender is to blame?

This is the exported FBX file from Blender again in MODO:

All three UV maps are there and intact. And if I export that file again now from MODO to FBX (with MODO’s Autodesk FBX 2013 exporter), I see exactly the same issue in 3D Coat as with Blender’s export.

Perhaps this is a question better asked in the 3D Coat forums, as this might very well be a 3D Coat FBX bug…

Hi
User found the workflow error

Ty all for support.

Thank you everyone! It is indeed solved. What I was doing wrong was using the “weld” command in the uv/image editor to merge all the verts into a single point for any part of the mesh that didn’t belong belong in that specific UV map (I was unwrapping the entire mesh for each map, then welding and pinning the parts that didn’t belong). I was following a tutorial that recommended this, but it seems to have caused a lot of problems.