Exporting for printing...

Hi.

I just started with blender and very happy with what I manage to build and design so far, but now I figured that it seems only possible to render at a fixed and pre-set pixel count I’m shocked! Uh, is that correct or am I just not finding the right ? Actually don’t want even that, I was hoping to be able to export it to eps format so I can import it into e.g. Photoshop or Indesign and it remains fully scalable, but I can’t :frowning:

Anyone who does stuff where the main focus is printing? How do you solve the problem? For little prints it wouldn’t be that dramatic (though still not perfect being unable to export as postscript), but when planning e.g. huge banners it seems like a dead end. Any suggestions? By the way, also noticed that it is restrict to RGB, any experience when converting an 3D image later to CMYK, any experience how to deal with that best?

Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately the development of Blender is strictly limited to “Animation tasks”

Things such as DPI and CMYK are unlikely to ever be in the official builds of Blender (some have tried).

There is a DTP Blender version available for page layouts, it has some very nice features.

As for exporting to vector there are a few scripts that will allow this (Flat colour only).

The other alternative is rendering in a large pixel size and then using illustrator or Freehands LiveTrace tools.

Hope that helps.

Hello
you’re a bit confused I guess?!
Blender is a 3D software, that can produce images, RGB ones, not
vector.
Blender its not an “image manipulation/creation” soft like the one you’ve mentioned.
Why the interest of EPS format to handle RGB images?
Anyway, if you need big images, just put a big number in the Size X, Y in the “Format Panel”, 30 000 x 30 000 Blender max I guess ( do a search)
Save in lossless format PNG or TGA and them import and do whatever you want in your favorite image soft.
Bye

Hmm, I must admit yes. Confused. I hadn’t thought of a “restriction” in output, as I considered Blender more like a 3D design program in general, not particular restricted to animation and screen output, yes. Not really thought that this might be an issue, if you render an image and export, why not also in a general format that is required for print processing. Hmm. Yes, you’re right. RGB is not working for professional print jobs, the next problem. It sure has to be CMYK.

Will take a look at DTP Blender, thanks for the hint. Is there any 3D program with a focus on printing as well, where I could maybe import my present model/world and prepare for print processing? Or is that a general problem? With Freehand you can of course also design in 3D, but not even as near as comfortable and natural/perfect as I experienced with Blender. Aye, now I’m even more confused and I have to finish my job within 2 weeks…

why don’t you just render big image, load it up on your photoshop and do cmyk conversation and whatever you need, before printing?

.b

The problem is the scalability. E.g. different print jobs: small cards, posters and huge/meter long banners require different sizes of the picture. The big advantage of eps, you can literally scale to any size required, without any loss as it’s being recalculated based on vectors. As I learned that in general all 3D models are based on triangles I thought it wouldn’t be an issue to convert it into vectors and make it also more or less ultimately scalable without getting pixelated.

Blender is a general 3D design program. As previously mentioned, there are two image varieties: raster and vector. Ultimately, every image that is printed is rasterized to a specific size. Each job has different size requirements, and you set the size of your output in the XY fields in the render output format panels. Blender produces rasterized images of whatever size you need.

Vector images do not have the quality you need for posters and banners and images of things; they are geometric forms. Blender produces photographic-quality and style of images. Search this forum for banner resolutions (I think they are 75dpi), so a 6 foot (2m) banner is like 5000 in the X direction resolution.

SO an eps allows you to scale up as much as you want eej?
True, if only vectors are “encapsulated”.
But eps files aren’t exactly the holy grail either, since you can cram both bitmaps and vector images in it. A bitmap image in an eps file is still only a bitmap, meaning you can’t scale it upwards as you’d like. cmyk or not…

that said, you can export your paths to svg, which should be readable in illustrator. Done that a few times, works allright.
There’s even a plugin out there which renders to svg, so what you see through the camera gets rendered out as svg. This has some limits off course, you can’t expect blur and all kind of fancy effects to end up like paths.

One last thing: NO 3D package out there, not a single one, not that I know of, renders images to CMYK. They all end up in RGB.
I needed this a while back, so I searched around. Looked at all the “professional apps” as well.
Theoretically I still need cmyk, but I haven’t had any setbacks by the fact that my images are in rgb so far.
The closets you’ll get to vectors is searching for that “render to svg” script.

EDIT:
if you absolutely NEED cmyk, convert it in a program like photoshop, if you have it. otherwise, see if your client can work with a pdf file, which can be made with a lot of apps these days(although the adobe pdf export dialogue is a very good one). ask for specific pdf settings. There’s bound to be a workflow that works for both you and your client.

It’s not unprofessional if you don’t know specific details about printstuff, like exactly what color profiles or specific font issues or rgb/cmyk or pdf export settings or yabba yabba yabba…
It’s VERY unprofessional if you (or your client/client’s graphic department) don’t try to get the desired results with the limited resources you may have.

Even without your fancy eps it shouldn’t be to hard to produce the work that is usable for you and your client/employer.

either you have a wrong program now for the job, or you don’t know how to use this program. you can’t just render picture and save it as eps. well, you might i guess, but it wouldn’t be freely scalable.

if you want that, you need vector program. search for “inkscape”.

if you want, as papasmurf said, photographic/painted/3d style graphics, use blender, and render to whatever size you need. final saved image might not be scalable like vector, but you can render to any size… so it’s just another way of working.

.b

The problem is the scalability

The world would be very boring if everything was vector graphics. A Blender render is scalable in the same way a photograph is. You can blow it up slightly using bicubic interpolation in Gimp or Photoshop, or reduce it to your hearts content in the same way. Best strategy is to render large and reduce. Think of how many inches you want to print it at, multiply that by 350 to get 350 dpi resolution (offset print quality), and render at that size to a TIFF. Convert to CMYK in photoshop.

I realize that others have already said this, so apologies for the redundancy…

Many thanks for everything so far, from all of you. I think it should be manageable with either solution. I will also try to find this script for rendering to svg. But right, I think for a single project it’s should work with the individual rendering method, then convert to CMYK. And true with the limited resources, my friend is the illustrator (A freak with Freehand, but poor with adapting to new technologies), and I’m the autodidact when quickly fiddling with new programs. So I guess he simply has to live with what I manage within the time limit, and he then has to manage the rest.

And the world is boring seen in vectors, true :wink: