Exporting from Blender to Final Cut Pro?

Hello folks,

I have a concern that I would like to address before I dive into Blender!

Suppose I create a 30 second 3D animation in Blender and I want to import it into Final Cut Pro, in Blender can I save my file type as .MP4?

And are there other better ways to do this?

Thanks for all help!

You are able to render mp4 here:
export as mp4

The problem with exporting straight as a video from Blender is that it does come with limitations. For example, rendering cannot be temporarially paused and so you end up being stuck waiting for it to all be done. If you do cancel, all you get is the video up to that point.

I believe it is best to render out each frame as images. That way, you have much more flexibility with how those frames are rendered, and you can choose to stop at whatever frame is being rendered and come back later. (Set the render start frame to where you were last at)
You should be able to just import all the rendered frames into your video editor of choice and set the framerate to the correct amount.
I personally render out frames as .jpeg because they don’t take up much storage space and do not affect the quality of the video as the videos I make are usually pretty compressed (YouTube videos for example). If you want more quality, png or other formats work fine.

Edit: added a picture that accurately shows the mp4 option.

Hi Unyxium,

I’m just evaluating B and I never did 3D animation or ever used a 3D software so I get confused very easily … sorry about that!!!

I just want to know if I do a 30 sec animation of for example a car crashing into a wall, can I save that as an MP4 file…?

Then I would just import it into FCP and apply it to my scene with my actors there.

I don’t understand what you mean by temporarily paused??? You mean when I save the file to disk? I don’t mind waiting a bit as it renders and saves to disk :man_shrugging:t2: If that’s what you are talking about!!!

I just don’t want to learn B and then realize I can’t import what I did in B into FCP… That would be a big problem for me!!!

Thanks again
Standing by if you can please give me a simple and clear answer so I can decide if B is for me or not based on what I just described :hugs:

Don’t worry, I am here to help you figure it out as a beginner to 3d software.

Straight to the point: Yes you can export to mp4.
export as mp4
Within the Output section of the Output Propreties tab, you select FFmpeg video, and more options will appear below it. In Container, select the file format, which in your case is MPEG-4 (.mp4). You can then access some other settings there like the quality of the video and encoding.
To render, click the render animation button (or use the hotkey Ctrl+F12):
Each frame will be rendered out as specified in the timeline, and once all the frames are rendered, the video is saved to your computer, wherever you specify it to be saved set within the Output section (first image above).

The below goes into detail about the second option you were confused about. You don’t have to do it if you don’t want. The first option is definitely quite straightforward.

Now, what I was saying that confused you a bit was the alternate rendering method. Essentially, when rendering an animation, each frame is calculated and rendered out, one-by-one until they are all done. If you instead selected an image output instead of a video output, each frame will be rendered and saved as an image to your computer, like below:

Here you can see many frames I made for a short Mars animation rendered out as images.

One benefit to this is that each frame, once rendered, is directly saved to your computer. A video on the other hand does not save until it is finished rendering the entire animation timeline or until it is cancelled. Having individual frames gives you a bit of security in data, as if Blender or your computer was to suddenly crash, lose power, or fail in any way, all the rendered frames up until that point has already been saved and you will not lose them. A video, however, would not have such security. The frames are not saved and the video will only be saved once everything is complete. A failure would mean that none of the rendering that occurred was actually saved, and you would have to re-render everything again.
The other benefit is having high quality rendered frames, giving you much more freedom as compression would not be much of an issue. You could also use those rendered frames in other things, like still renders for some sort of thumbnail, art, etc.
Now, of course this option means that you have to go and combine all the frames into one video. It may be a bit of an issue in organisation, but it depends on the software. Some can handle it well. I have no experience with Final Cut Pro, so I cannot say for that, though.

Ok Unyxium,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation it clarified most of my confusion.

In essence I would only use B for the scenes that require special effects like a car blowing up or Someone flying through a brick wall… just for those 2-3 second scenes so I dont think I would have long render times to wait either way … I suppose !!! I obviously could be wrong… :grin:

As long as I could save in MP4 type I shouldn’t have a problem importing the B footage in FCP!

Once in FCP I can size, move and apply simple modifications should I need to so the imported footage can better blend in my film.

I’m looking into starting this course in a few weeks , this guy’s course seems quite complete for a beginner:

https://www.udemy.com/course/blendertutorial/

Since I know nothing about B I think that should do it to get my feet wet.

Thank you again … this website’s hospitality is great and you all seem very supportive!

Again thank you very much

:v:

1 Like

Just installed B… kinda neat… made my first model :grin: