Exporting Medieval game environment from UE4 to UPBGE glsl #1

Exporting Medieval game environment from UE4 to UPBGE glsl #1

Hello!
I’ve decided to export the Medieval game environment from UE4 to UPBGE glsl. Just curios to see how it would look and if the engine is even able to process a scene with such a big number of objects. This is the first video where you can see only some objects on the scene. I intend to be releasing more videos with more content being placed on the scene, making it look more like the original Medieval game environment with every new update. Will see how far we can go!
Thank You!

4 Likes

Looking good! I’m curious, were there any particular reasons you chose UPBGE 0.2x over UPBGE 0.3x?

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:
To me it wouldn’t make much sense bringing a scene from one advanced renderer to another.
But trying to export the project from the advanced engine to the older one and make it look as similar to the original as possible, sounds more fun to me!
What would happen, if the crazy artist that made the Medieval game invironment, had only Portal 2 version Source engine, Megascans and modern PC? :smile:

Added some fallen trees, and the houses start forming.
I have a lot of other things to do and can’t fully concentrate on this project, so the updates can be a bit small, but i’ll try to make them as often as i can.

2 Likes

I know you were just testing it but I reckon bake lighting would make this scene look a lot better.

1 Like

for not having the flies on slow motion

1 Like

3x can use geometry nodes to cull and stream stuff.

It can use openXR and eevee next / volumes etc.

Eevee next promises light culling and realtime gpu displace.

1 Like

Are they any optimizations there bud?

Because to me it just looks like you ported High Poly assets that’s all? :thinking:
Hhmm Indulge me on this one @Musa

Fred/K.S

1 Like

Although I do appreciate good lighting setup and framerate seems really nice !!!

Fred/K.S

1 Like

You’re absolutely right! Unfortunately there is no easy way to bake lighting in the UPBGE version that I’m using. I don’t know if there are any addons for that.

UPBGE 3 has a lot of awesome features. I should start making something in it. Haven’t got any ideas yet.

Well I simply export the content from the UE4 Medieval game environment to UPBGE. The number of polygons remains the same, and LODs switch between each other depending on the distance. Objects outside the camera don’t draw.

1 Like

Can’t you use Cycles bake? This is my scene

1 Like

There is this add-on:

1 Like

it looks great! :muscle:

Thanks a lot!

Yes I’m gonna use Cycles baking, but not directly. This add-on “The Lightmapper v0.3” bakes lighting using Cycles. It works and it’s awesome! RPaladin just told me about it!

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I needed!
I figured out how it works, and it’s awesome!
Appreciate a lot!

1 Like

Well you could try to import things to Godot. In theory it is advanced, it can render very complex environments and the rendering pipeline is optimized but there is catch, scene lighting and shading seems to be behind Eevee and Unreal Engine 4 and 5.

1 Like

@GruntAxeman

Yes, godot is a wonderful engine and it would be fun to challenge it with something heavy. But I’m more curious to see what UPBGE 0.2 is capable of.

Why not UPBGE 0.3 ? It actually looks great but it believe it has limitations on heavy scenes.

Godot runs heavy scenes and lighting flawlessly. It is so well optimized that I like to bending it do something similar than Unreal engine. Lighting and shading model isn’t that good so it requires hand tuning and it is likely easiest solution to drop off roughness mapping so surfaces look matte or shining but those materials between those two suffers.

Edit:

My mistake. Roughnessmaps works well in Godot. Also I notice that there is now physical light attenuation.

So it means that there aren’t much limitations in Godot.

1 Like