Exporting Textures

(Terence1986) #1

I am curious about spherical mapping…i imported a blank image as a texture…i am wondering how to do the thing i’ve seen in the making of shows where the face is like peeled off and it looks all stretched out…I know that i would do this in a paint program, but how do i get it out and know where to paint the eyes, nose, etc.?

(NorinMHX) #2

I beleive you are talking about uv mapping, do a search on for a tutorial, sorry I can’t be of more help, I am still learning this myself.

(Terence1986) #3

hmm…maybe, i dunno…all i know is that the whole texture is one image, and its wrapped around.

(Fligh) #4

Yes, you need to learn how to use LSCM to unwrap your UV mesh so that it’s flat (look in the “Watch and Learn” thread at the top of this page for a video tut by Greybeard on UVMapping, the link is to XXX.ibiblio.com) Once you have it unwrapped you can export a .tga image by using the “Save UVFace Layout” script in the UV menu of the Scripts window. You can paint your face on this and use it to texture your object as it will UVMap exactly as you exported it.

%<

(Terence1986) #5

when i use that, it takes forever to map a phot to the face…a problem i encountered is that it looks fine mapped in the uv mapper…but when i use subsurf for the render, everything is different…how do i get around this?

(GreyBeard) #6

a problem i encountered is that it looks fine mapped in the uv mapper…but when i use subsurf for the render, everything is different…how do i get around this?

Two possible ways - apply your subsurf so that it becomes a real mesh and uv map that – or – tweak your verts in the uv editor and note the changes in the 3d editor (potato mode).

GreyBeard

(Terence1986) #7

i have used this lots of times, but i have never been able to get a mesh of a face to unwrap without all the lines overlapping eachother and making this big ink blot mess…how do i make it so i can paint one “mask” so to speak?