Expy Kit: Character Conversion [mixamo, rigify, unreal] [Free]

I have released the tools that I use for my character workflow as a single addon. In this video I show how I use blender to exchange animations between Mixamo and Unreal Engine characters

GitHub link: https://github.com/pKrime/Expy-Kit

Enjoy!

10 Likes

Congrats, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Very Interesting! Will check this out.

New version, new video: we can have Mixamo animations on Rigify rigs of Mixamo characters!

I have added new features to deal with animation packages, and made a new video in which I load a rigify character in Mixamo. A few other addition, and I will be able to release a new version.

Enjoy!

How hard it is to support new armature conversions? Is there a way to define custom “name” => “name” mapping?

I was checking your code and, although I’m ignorant of Blender’s API, I was wondering if skeletal conversion is just a matter of bone mapping, or scaling also has to be transformed by a formula?

BTW: fantastic work. Thank you for sharing this with the community.

Hi @vinnyvicious

the bone mappings are defined in bone_mapping.py. To add new types you should create a new class and fill its bone names for each limb: please have a look at the UnrealSkeleton class. Then you should add it to the operators.skeleton_types property, and operator.skeleton_from_type function.

Not hard for a programmer, but definetely not ready for users. I aim to make it easier to expand in the future: the present implementation of the bone mapping is only a stub. I am fixing some minor issues before I cover more skeletons.

I was wondering if skeletal conversion is just a matter of bone mapping, or scaling also has to be transformed by a formula

the Match target transform checkbox converts the rotations, scaling is not taken into account yet: the rest poses can differ, but not the proportions. Scaling can be factored in the future, but it has to blend with the animations for that character. I think that the NLA editor can be used for that, or perhaps scale constraints. At that point, Expy Kit would become a full retargeting tool, but I don’t see that happening in the immediate.

BTW: fantastic work. Thank you for sharing this with the community.

Thanks mate!

1 Like