Extend end/start point of a curve with geometry nodes

Hello,

Is there a way t oextend the end and or last point of a curve along its normal by using geometry nodes?

In my simpleton logic, the end/start point, should look to the next point and create a normal vector between itself and the previous point and from there moving it along its normal axis.

Cheers,
Juan

Hi, there’s no node that extends a curve. However you could use a different curve containing an additional point, and place it at the “extended position” using the tangent vector like you suggested. You will have to retrieve the handle positions as well if you’re using a bézier curve, so that the shape matches the original.

geonodes_match_and_extend_curve.blend (1.1 MB)

Hadrien

3 Likes

Here I created a mesh from the bezier, and used some geo wrangling to extrude and delete those points along the normal given by the endcaps. Messy.

4 Likes

At least with Poly curve it should be simple enough: by converting to mesh, extruding, and back to curve. The only problem is loosing the Direction - other things can be probably Captured.

I’m not sure it’s possible to retain/transfer the information about curve Type, so this won’t work with other curves.

EDIT: there’s a Named Attribute for spline type though… :thinking:

4 Likes

For a poly curve the following works without converting:

4 Likes

Simple method that works with multi-curves:

Good luck.

5 Likes

It is great to see so many approach to it.
Thank you all for pitching in, marking one solution that fits especially to my workflow. Grateful to all of you who offered a great solution :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Juan

1 Like