[External Program] Blender Version Manager for 2.8

It checks for new build every 60 seconds :smile:
I will add your feature request to my list (which is too longā€¦)

1 Like
I want the ability to specify the folder that the download goes to.

I use extra buttons for my mouse, and the program that assigns the keys for the mouse buttons, requires a specified path for the app to assign the keys, otherwise I have to use a global default keymap.

The keys I use are F13-F19 which have no function outside of programs with customizable keyboard shortcuts that also recognize those as inputs (Blender does)

Otherwise Iā€™ll have to manually move the downloaded folder to my base folder every time I re-download Blender.

Thanks for the info and everything else!

1 Like

I have noticed that leaving it running all the time at some point it will stop checking new versions. 3 days now where it doesnt pick up that a new build is ready but if I close it and open it again it checks and finds the new build instantly. Just wanted to let you know. I think a ā€œlast successful check: $date - $timeā€ would help to figure out when it went bad.

1 Like

Do you use the version 1.5.2 ?

Yes, thatā€™s what I have.

Same here. Re-launching helps though, thanks for the tip.

Just a heads up that there might be a possible memory leak. 3 days in a row now where Iā€™ve noticed itā€™s memory usage balloon up to 2.5gb+. I have windows 10, 16gb ram. It had 37,000+ handles. Iā€™ll take a screenshot of everything if it does it again and hopefully that is of some help.

I canā€™t see it leaking on my end, using 58mb, but for some reason itā€™s not downloading the latest build. Seems to be downloading fine from the blender website. Might be an issue on my end, not sure.

edit - false alarm, restarting fixed the download issue, for some reason the newest version check was stuck on aug 22.

Also, 1.5.2 seems to be starting fine on 2 windows workstations, but wonā€™t start on my laptop with win10, need to do some debugging to pinpoint the issue.

I had restarted it since the last time I posted. The memory usage is up to 856mb, 12k handles and growing.

strange, nothing for me, still only at 150mb with 2 instances running -

bvmMEM

are you on windows 10 x64-bit too? how much ram?

win 10 x64 and 16 gigs of ram. was using 1.4 before, that one worked fine.

We have the same setup. Iā€™ve ran out of ideas. Iā€™ll just close it every now and then for now.

ye, not sure whatā€™s going on. I might reinstall my OS if Iā€™ll have some time on the weekend, see if that helps.

Thatā€™s really weird :thinking:
Iā€™m using it every day on work and launching Blender hundreds of time.
I see some reasonable memory leaking which probably can be fixed.
I hope will have time to build a version with latest updates soon, sorry for such troubles.

Thanks! Iā€™m using it daily on 2 other workstations without problems, not sure what the issue is. The laptop has 16 gb ram, should be plenty - also, it worked fine with older versions. When I try to run it I just get a dialog saying ā€œFatal error - Failed to execute script mainā€. Tried different compatibility modes, no luck.

Please, follow this instructions to find more information about crash https://github.com/DotBow/Blender-Version-Manager/wiki/Blender-Version-Manager-Wiki#report-a-bug

I canā€™t wait for a Linux version to be released.
Congratulations for this software, DotBow.

Heh, guys, have a look at this script for Linux:

2 Likes