Extra ram will help blender?

Hi there.
I’ve got a question;
If I get more RAM on my PC, will blender speeds up? (—> Can it afford more vertices?)

Because I want to upgrade my ram from 2GB to 8 GB…
Do you think that’s worth it? Or not?

Thanks for responses!

Do you think that’s worth it? Or not?
It depends. But you haven’t bothered to include the useful info in your post like your OS, your hardware spec, what you currently and plan to use blender for.
For example if you are using a 32bit OS you’re throwing money away going to 8GB RAM.

Therefore please reply with all the relevant infomation

-windows 7, 64 bits
-Intel i3, 3300 MHz

I want to make physics animations, with a lot of blocks.
But with 2 gb ram it will freeze after +/- 2000 blocks inclusive keyframes.
And some other projects with a lot of faces/vertices.

The answer will be “yes”.

Usually more RAM will help, but if you are unsure, check how much memory is being used (RAM + swap). IIRC, there is some sort of system monitor in Windows for that purpose.

@Richard Marklew : Are you agreed with this? :slight_smile:

I have windows 7, and then you can use some ‘apps’ with information.
Like the weather, the date and also something RAM and my CPU, in %.

So if I open the file with my physics project (2gb!), than the RAM fly up to 100% and my computer will freezing.

Did you mean something like this? ^

Easiest way to start Task Manager by either pressing Ctl-Alt-Del and choose it from the list on screen, or right-click on the task bar and choose “Start Task Manager”

Once open, go to the Processes tab and click at the top of the Image Name column to sort by process name. Look for Blender in the list, start a render, simulation or whatever you are doing and watch the CPU and Memory values.

You can also get a good idea if you look at the Performance tab. It shows the overall usage of CPU and memory, but dosen’t break it down by process. Blender may only use a small part of the memory while it’s working, but every other process on your computer does too. This will show you if your hitting your maximums even if Blender isn’t.

On a side note, it’s my experience that 2gb just isn’t enough, and for the low cost of adding 8 or more, it can only help. My machine at work here only has 2 in it and it’s using up 1.5 of that with just 4 simple applications and a few browser windows running.

what do you exactly mean with: and for the low cost of adding 8 or more, it can ony help?

Yes, that was the one I meant, I just haven’t used Windows machines for awhile, so I didn’t remember where to find it.

Yes, that sounds like you have too little memory for all that you are trying to do. But of course, it is possible that your computer is overall too old for your project, so that you might want to buy a new, faster one with decent amount of memory.

Although I’m not Storrboy, I guess that it means: just buy more memory, it will help, and it is cheaper than buying a whole new computer :slight_smile:

Well I guess I can’t speak for where you are, but where I live 8 gb of ddr3 is only around $40 (us/can). It’s the cheapest upgrade I know of and having too much doesn’t hurt anything. If you increase to 8, or add 8 to increase to 10, but only ever use 4, at least the extra is there if you need it.

Having extra memory means less use of the swap file on the hard drive, faster access and smoother running environment. Even if you never used Blender again, the extra memory would be a benefit.

Since you are only at 2 Gb right now, I think you will see a noticeable improvement in blender, and most other applications. You should see swapping (apparent freezing) problems disappear altogether.

ok thanks everyone! :slight_smile:

Yes go for it, 8GB is the new standard if you ask me. Anything below 4 is downright frustrating.

so the more the ram the less lag will be there in the display viewport?
is that correct?

Not necessarily. It has a lot more to do with your GPU, or if you’re simulating your CPU. Even with a core 2600k i7 processor, a GTX560Ti GPU, and 24GB of RAM I still experience slowdown and lag in the viewport. There’s no way to get rid of it when you start working on very complex scenes.

Having more memory doesn’t basically improve the performance (Unless you have ridiculously low amount of it). You just need to have enough of it for what ever you are doing. If you run out of memory you are in trouble because then your system needs to resort in caching the data on a hard disk. Very large scenes and simulations use a lot memory…

I don’t know how you can even properly do anything on win7 64bit and 2GB memory… My Pc uses around 2GB just for all the background programs :slight_smile: Well I have 16GB and win7 is designed to make use of the available memory…

so will a gtx 660 with 8gb ram and core i5 be good enough for rendering atleast 500k to 900k polys?
and I dont mean the speed of the gtx 660, just will it be able to handle that?

Irrespective of how much memory blender is using, it’s very unlikely you won’t notice some difference. 2mg - forgive my bluntness - is pitifully inadequate.

I’d consider 16gb - I upgraded from 6gb to 18gb total (i7 3 channel) and the computer uses much more now it has that memory available.

After that, maybe look at a processor upgrade - those would be two excellent upgrades that would be very cost-effective.

You didn’t give much info, even after requested on your specs, but I’d guess you processor is one of these:

Intel Core i3 3225 Ivy Bridge Dual Core Processor

Intel CPU i3 2125 Sandy Bridge Intel HD Graphics 3000 Processor

… Presuming your clock speed is stock as these are the only two offering that clock; unless the processor is older, of course.

Both Intel’s i5 sandy and ivybridge K series (unlocked) sell for in the region of 160-175 GBP and would be a huge performance boost.

Of course the ivybridge i3 is much more capable than the sandy as it has four threads to the two threads sandy; no clue which you have.

So my point of posting the additional comments, is consider your future plans to upgrade before making any buying decisions.