Extracting a 3DS model for use in the Source engine with Blender

First of all apologies if this is not the correct forum but I thought it was the one which was most fitting for my issue.

I have a model which I am trying to use in the Source engine and I’m following this guide provided from Valve: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Modeling_props_with_Blender

The model I am trying to use is a prop that has no animation and will be used in the level environment. I have a 3DS file which I’ve loaded with Blender but I have no TGA files, the model is using a material which you can see in the following screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/b583D8p.png

I can create an SMD file using the tool described in the guide from Valve but I do not have a TGA file for the material used (which isn’t the same as a texture? Am I right in thinking that?). I do not know how to extract the material for this model so that I can use it elsewhere.

I’ve looked into unwrapping the model but I’m not sure if this is correct since the examples I’ve seen are different to my model and are normally created in Blender initially. I’d appreciate some guidance on how I can extract this TGA file since I’m having some difficulty at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help.

but I do not have a TGA file for the material used (which isn’t the same as a texture? Am I right in thinking that?
No. The .tga file is an image texture used with the material

I’d appreciate some guidance on how I can extract this TGA file since I’m having some difficulty at the moment.
Where did you get the file ? Are you sure it has a texture ? Supply a link to your file

Thanks for the reply. So a material file has to have a texture file? The model that I used is from Turbosquid (http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-ornate-railings-set-design/813684). I could privately provide you the model file if it helps. I thought since the model had a material applied to it that it must be embedded within the model file

The file does not contain any textures so:
If you expected them to have textures go back to the source of the files and ask/look for them
or
Make your own texture and add it to your material

Ok I guess I got confused because it appears black, is that just a built in material added to it?

Them are too high poly to plaster everywhere in the source engine!

I never really thought of that. Do you know what the recommended polycount is for models in Source? It actually ended up coming out tiny in Hammer, I need to resize them up a lot

3ds’s have been a “thorn in my side” for YEARS

mainly because i use Linux and a lot of 3ds files are using the windows 3.1 all cap short names and extensions ( UNDER8.TGA ) that do not match the real mane of the image supplied ( UNDER8.tga , under8.tga, under8.TGA )

so

the very first thing i do with a 3ds is open it with a HEX editor and READ!!! the beginning of the file for the materials and image names it uses

the turbosquid page STATES that there ARE indeed textures and they ARE uv mapped